My keg on CO2 will not carbonate...please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
This is the weirdest thing I have ever encountered. I put a keg of milk stout on C02 two weeks ago. The kegerator is at 40 degrees F. I had it at 30 PSI for 36 hours, then dropped it down to 12 psi, where it has been sitting for the last two weeks. It is COMPLETELY flat. There is pressure in the headspace, when I pull the relief, it lets out a blast of pressure, then the CO2 immediately refills to equilibrium. All of my other kegs in the kegarator are carbonated fine, so I KNOW that I'm not out of CO2.

I am just at a loss. I have never used the actual keg before, it was given to me full of the beer from a friend that brewed a big batch. It is ball lock. In my experience 2 works is more than enough time to at least notice tghe presence of carbonation.

Please help!

I assume you are just using CO2 and not beer gas or nitrogen?

What is the beer? This sounds crazy to me also, is it a style that hides carbonation (tastes flat but is actually carbonated like sodas have to have 50 PSI to be carbed enough)

Another thought, could it be overfilled? with a very small exposure just in the gas dip tube to co2 might carb slow?

Just shots in the dark... hope one of them helps!

Overfilling is not an is not an issue. It will carbonate just fine. You risk back-flow up your gas line but it will still carbonate. Did it for years.

Its definitely not overfilled (4gallons) and I carbed another keg off the same fill of gas, so its definitely CO2.

Any luck resolving your issue? I am experiencing a similar problem. I currently have a blonde at 12 psi carbed up great and by using a dual regulator I have a brown ale at 12 psi that will not carbonate after 6 weeks. Keg held pressure fine and I assume after 6 weeks even the smallest leak would cause my tank to be empty.

Latest posts

Back