My keg froze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to tap my keg and found out my beer froze. It's been outside in sub-freezing temps in the garage, but I thought it would be fine. I went to tap the keg today and was shocked to found out the entire keg of beer was frozen. It wasn't frozen lines, as I had no lines connected.

I am willing to deal with CO2 issues, but I am just concerned about taste, etc.

It'll be okay right? Tell me it'll be okay.

It'll be fine. Palmer describes in his book how he did the same thing.

As long as the keg didn't crack, all is well. Thaw that sucker out and enjoy.

I froze 8 cornies after setting my analog controller to 30 instead of 40 in poor lighting. I pulled them all out of the keezer and they were fine after they thawed.

I froze a keg once by leaving it out in the garage during an ice storm. I thawed it out and drank it. Best Schwarzbier I ever had.

Soaking in water all winter : (

image.jpg

I had to move my fermentation chamber for a project. When I moved it back, the person I was working with plugged it in...without the temp controller. Kegged the beer once it thawed and it tasted great. Yours won't be a problem, unless it sucked before it froze. That just can't be helped.

Back