Frozen soda keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevbeerdrink

Reaction score
Moderator's Note: combined 2 posts; edited for clarity.

Can anyone tell me why my keg of carbonating water froze after 36 hours, then leaked out.
Went down earlier, my tap line was frozen. Disconnected and 4 hours later keg is empty with snow on bottom.

Fridge 4 Celsius. Psi 30

Last edited by a moderator:
In your other post on the same topic you mentioned that your “tap line” was disconnected and your keg was empty. If you mean that your beverage out line was disconnected from the keg it might be possible that your beverage out disconnect came off or had a leak on the beverage out post leaving the poppet partially open emptying the keg under pressure and continuing to allow the rest of your co2 to flow out of the keg, causing the freezing you observed. Is your co2 tank empty?

Sorry about the two post I got to thinking my other one didn't go through but yes I'm thinking that might be the issue The Outpost being slightly open and continuing to let water come out with CO2 coming in and freezing up. But getting back to carbonating water if I carbonate at 30 PSI what do you dispense at do you let it be a 30 or do you drop down to 15 psi or so...? No co2 tank not empty

Depends how carbonated you want it. I keep sodas at 25 psi, beers about 12. I keep the keezzer at 37, without a circulation fan.I really want to add a fan, I get a lot of temperature stratification.

Back