My Keezer is done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work. Where did you get the drain pan? Am building a similar one and that's a nice touch. Also, what is lining your 2X6 ? is there foam under the reflective wrap? Thanx Tchever1 ( Forum Tag ) Bill in real life

Last edited:
Thanx again for the reply. Do have a question though-- because cold compresses gasses, would mounting the gas bottle outside the box make any sense? Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything:drunk:

Thanx again for the reply. Do have a question though-- because cold compresses gasses, would mounting the gas bottle outside the box make any sense? Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything:drunk:

Having the CO2 tank outside would work just as well. You should be able to monitor the remaining CO2 more accurately if it's around room temperature, but you'll need a way to feed the gas line through the collar. I chose to place the tank inside because I wasn't planning on having more than five taps with this keezer.

Cheers!

Here's the tray:
http://www.kegconnection.com/drip-tray-for-5-faucets-18-wide-with-drain/

The description claims it's 14" tall from the tray's surface to the very top of the backsplash. I just measured mine and it's more like 12.5". Behind the collar the backsplash goes up 6.25" high. Hope that helps!

How is the drip tray holding up? Is it sturdy? Do you regret not getting the Micromatic that is ridiculously expensive at $200+?

I'm going to be building mine soon and am not sure if I want to upgrade to the Micromatic or not.

http://www.micromatic.com/24-inch-w...el-wall-mount-drain-tray-5-faucet-dp-322eld-5

http://www.micromatic.com/16-inch-w...eel-wall-mount-drain-tray-5-faucet-dp-322ld-5

How is the drip tray holding up? Is it sturdy? Do you regret not getting the Micromatic that is ridiculously expensive at $200+?

I'm going to be building mine soon and am not sure if I want to upgrade to the Micromatic or not.

http://www.micromatic.com/24-inch-w...el-wall-mount-drain-tray-5-faucet-dp-322eld-5

http://www.micromatic.com/16-inch-w...eel-wall-mount-drain-tray-5-faucet-dp-322ld-5

Ah yes those drip trays. Back when I was buying parts for my project I believed it was ludicrous to pay that much for a drip tray when that money could go into something more vital such as quality faucets and good temp control... and I still do. Though, if you do have the extra cash after buying everything else then I'm sure the Micromatics would be a great addition.

I don't regret my tray one bit. I can leave five full pint glasses on mine and it doesn't even budge, though I did reinforce the bottom with two angled brackets for extra support to the keezer wall. It's been really easy to clean and hasn't shown any age. Sure, I see some imperfections at this lower price point, but I'm perfectly happy with how it performs and looks for a fraction of the cost of the Micromatics.

Hope that helps!

When I built my keezer, I had the option to add another keg and faucet as a 2.5 gallon would fit on the hump, but I elected not to. I only brew 5 gallon batches and didn't see the point in splitting a batch and having two of the same beers on tap; however I am now regretting that decision.

I could have bought a few 2.5 gallon kegs and split a brown ale that I always have on tap because SWMBO likes it and could have simply swapped out the 2.5s of brown ale when one kicks.

When I built my keezer, I had the option to add another keg and faucet as a 2.5 gallon would fit on the hump, but I elected not to. I only brew 5 gallon batches and didn't see the point in splitting a batch and having two of the same beers on tap; however I am now regretting that decision.

I could have bought a few 2.5 gallon kegs and split a brown ale that I always have on tap because SWMBO likes it and could have simply swapped out the 2.5s of brown ale when one kicks.

2.5 gallon kegs are great! So are split batches! I can take a 5 gallon batch and experiment with two different yeast strains, dry hops, fruit additions, etc. It'll be a great addition to your keezer if you ever do go back and modify your setup.

is there a rule for faucet spacing?

Fit as many as you can! I believe you can have them as close or as far as you'd like as long as everything fits properly. My drip tray backsplash already had holes cut out for my faucets/shanks so my spacing was already determined.

Ah yes those drip trays. Back when I was buying parts for my project I believed it was ludicrous to pay that much for a drip tray when that money could go into something more vital such as quality faucets and good temp control... and I still do. Though, if you do have the extra cash after buying everything else then I'm sure the Micromatics would be a great addition.

I don't regret my tray one bit. I can leave five full pint glasses on mine and it doesn't even budge, though I did reinforce the bottom with two angled brackets for extra support to the keezer wall. It's been really easy to clean and hasn't shown any age. Sure, I see some imperfections at this lower price point, but I'm perfectly happy with how it performs and looks for a fraction of the cost of the Micromatics.

Hope that helps!

Thanks it did help a lot.

I think my biggest worry was that I'm also building a 5 tap keezer, but the chest freezer size is 16 cubic feet. I was worried that having a thinly spaced set of taps on a large keezer would look odd, so I was thinking the Micromatic at 24" wide would spread things out a bit so it looks more uniform across the collar. Still deciding!

You don't have a parts list for the entire build do you? I have tight schedule for my build and I don't want to leave anything off the parts order by accident. Did you get everything from kegconnection.com? What pressure are you running your CO2? I really like the simplicity and just plain good looks of your build. I had already decided to paint the keg black and I am a huge fan of American Chestnut stain. Too bad those gorgeous trees are all gone.

You don't have a parts list for the entire build do you? I have tight schedule for my build and I don't want to leave anything off the parts order by accident. Did you get everything from kegconnection.com? What pressure are you running your CO2? I really like the simplicity and just plain good looks of your build. I had already decided to paint the keg black and I am a huge fan of American Chestnut stain. Too bad those gorgeous trees are all gone.

Had to do some diving through old emails to compile the full parts list, whew, that should be everything. I run my primary regulator at 25psi and the secondaries at 10-14psi depending on the beer. Beer lines are 10ft long 3/16in ID.

Beverage Factory
Kegco Home Brew Beer Kegs - Ball Lock 5 Gallon Rubber Top - Bran
Model: KC SET2-5G-RBO 1 $289.06 20% $231.25

10 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank
Model: BF C10 1 $106.24 20% $84.99
(Sold in exchange for 20lb tank)

642 - Premium Grade Double Gauge Co2 Draft Beer Regulator
Model: MM 642 1 $97.44 20% $77.95

T1694STC-01 Four Product Secondary Co2 Regulator with Check Valv
Model: TF T1694STC-01 1 $218.69 20% $174.95

Ball Lock Home Brew Keg Tap - Beer Out with 1/4" Male Flare Fitt
Model: BF BLBO-MFL 2 $9.94 20% $15.90

Ball Lock Home Brew Keg Tap - Gas In with Male Flare Fitting wit
Model: BF BLGI-MFL 2 $9.94 20% $15.90

Kegco 1 Foot Length of 3/16 Inch I.D. Clear Thermoplastic Super
Model: BF 316CBL 10 $1.25 20% $10.00

1 Foot Length of 5/16 Inch I.D. Red Air Line
Model: MM 553R 10 $3.12 20% $25.00

Wire Gauge Cage
Model: BF WGC 1 $36.19 20% $28.95
32oz. BLC Liquid Line Cleaner

133SL - Stepless Clamp for 3/16 Inch ID Tubing
Model: BF 316SLCP 12 $1.25 20% $12.00

170SL - Stepless Clamp for 5/16 Inch ID Tubing
Model: BF 516SLCP 10 $1.25 20% $10.00
CL532-BLC 1 $7.46 USD $7.46 USD

Perlick 630SS Beer Faucet Stainless Shank Combo
Model: BF 630SSCOMBO 5 $71.19 20% $284.75

Heavy Duty Faucet Wrench - Red Handle
Model: BF FWHD 1 $6.19 20% $4.95

4346F - Stainless Steel Shank Flange
Model: MM 4346F 5 $6.19 20% $24.75

Kegconnection
Drip Tray for 5 Faucets, 18" wide, with drain
DT109 1 $89.95 USD $89.95 USD

Faucet Spout Plug
FA804 5 $0.40 USD $2.00 USD

O-ring Lubricant, Food Grade
KP205 1 $3.95 USD $3.95 USD

Adventures in Homebrewing
c384-43-0006-00 Taprite Regulator Wall Mounting Bracket
Price: $3.99
Qty: 2

C384-5375-25 Taprite Brass Hex Nipple 1/4" NPT x 1-1/2" long (RHT)
Price: $4.50
Qty: 1

C384-T1661ST Taprite Secondary Regulator
Price: $44.99
Qty: 1

MoreBeer
Item Description: Cornelius Keg - NEW (2.5 gallon)
Item Number: KEG419
Qty: 2
Price: $109.99
Subtotal: $219.98

Northern Brewer
ThermoStar™ Dual-Mode Digital Temperature Controller U41264-41264 1 $79.99

BeerCapMaps
U.S. State Maps
North Carolina NC-PLY $39.00 1 $39.00

Lowe's
2x6 Pine
1x8 Red Oak
7/8" Spade bit
Wood Screws
Angled Brackets
Liquid Nails Adhesive
Loctite Silicone
Foam Weatherstrip
Minwax Pre-Stain
Minwax Polyshades American Chestnut Gloss
Reflectix 16-in x 25-ft Reflective Roll Insulation
Velcro Industrial Strength (For brackets under drip tray for extra support and thermostat)
Black Door Hinge (For thermostat)

What type of chalk do you use to get that super bright color? Chalkboard markers? That looks great.

I'd like to know this as well.

Excellent job on the keezer!

Thanks everyone. They're called CraftyCroc liquid chalk markers. Works great on my chalkboard which is not a traditional chalkboard at all. It's more like a non-porous plastic surface, which works better for liquid chalk.

Markers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MI8OX3C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Chalkboard
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018N0BA2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
GrainToGlass...thanks for documenting your wonderful work. You have stimulated a lot of new builds, in addition to mine! Question for you, did you mount the collar on double-sided foam rubber as a seal? I see some silicone but it looks like it joins the foam to the freezer? I'll be sealing my collar on soon but not sure what approach works best. Thanks.

GrainToGlass...thanks for documenting your wonderful work. You have stimulated a lot of new builds, in addition to mine! Question for you, did you mount the collar on double-sided foam rubber as a seal? I see some silicone but it looks like it joins the foam to the freezer? I'll be sealing my collar on soon but not sure what approach works best. Thanks.

I didn't realize this thread had that great of an impact on keezer builds! Warms my heart. :D

To answer your question, a foam rubber strip is attached on the lip of the freezer and another strip is attached to the bottom of the collar. Then I aligned the two together and used a lot of silicone on the sides of the strips to get an air tight seal. Hope that helps!

Cheers

GrainToGlass- Thanks. Lowes has some single sided foam tape that's about 5/16"-3/8" thick. I'll use that to seal the imperfections and "glue" with silicone to secure it. My goal is to configure things so the freezer can be re-purposed as a freezer should that need ever arise.

Nice work OP! I built my keezer using that same black Kenmore freezer and a similarly colored collar but I only installed 4 Perlick 575s. I really like your multiple gas regulators, that is a great idea.

Is your top double hinged? It might be tricky getting some of the 5 gallon kegs into or out of the keezer when its full if not.

Nice work OP! I built my keezer using that same black Kenmore freezer and a similarly colored collar but I only installed 4 Perlick 575s. I really like your multiple gas regulators, that is a great idea.

Is your top double hinged? It might be tricky getting some of the 5 gallon kegs into or out of the keezer when its full if not.

Thanks! The top is only single hinged. I agree, moving kegs in and out takes some effort with the added height. I like to place the empty keg in the keezer first before racking beer into it.

We seem to think ( and swing a hammer ) alike. I'm a little jealous though as I didn't go Larger:mug: Merry Christmas Excuse the debris in the corner. Fallout from a Graduatded 23 yr old son returning from Vermont. The bottle is actually mounted on the wall just out of sight

20151012_130337.jpg

We seem to think ( and swing a hammer ) alike. I'm a little jealous though as I didn't go Larger:mug: Merry Christmas Excuse the debris in the corner. Fallout from a Graduatded 23 yr old son returning from Vermont. The bottle is actually mounted on the wall just out of sight

My twin! Awesome keezer, we do think very alike. What about the bottle? Are you referring to a cap opener or thermostat?

Merry Christmas! :tank:

I'm guessing he means the co2 tank. I just got a freezer and am using this, and several others, as inspiration, I will be putting a bar on mine with casters and mounting a box to hold my co2 tank off the back of the base. Don't want it loose and have it accidentally to over if I move the unit.
Great build OP, thanks for the ideas.

I'm guessing he means the co2 tank. I just got a freezer and am using this, and several others, as inspiration, I will be putting a bar on mine with casters and mounting a box to hold my co2 tank off the back of the base. Don't want it loose and have it accidentally to over if I move the unit.
Great build OP, thanks for the ideas.

Ah, the CO2 tank.. of course. :D

Thanks! I had planned on adding casters and a skirt after finishing the build. The taps would be great another 3 inches higher, but the current height hasn't been bothersome and I have no need to move the keezer around.

Have fun with your build! It really was a rewarding journey creating this. Take your time and get it how you want it the first time.

Latest posts

Back