My job has stolen my soul...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’d like to preface this by saying that I know I’m lucky. I have a job that is steady (for now), a great wife, an awesome dog, and the greatest hobby. This isn’t a pity post, where I’m trying to one-up anyone else to complain about my circumstances. Just looking for alternative suggestions or help.

I’ve lived in the greater Baltimore area (Columbia/Ellicott City) since March of 2008. Straight out of college, I had a job working 65 miles north of Columbia. My fiancée at the time (now my wife) worked (and still works) in south east DC, and Columbia was a nice middle ground. Business was going well, and I was hired under the grand plans to increase our sales by 400% within 5 years. The company I work for is a subsidiary of a much larger company, and with anticipated growth in not just my company, but the corporation as a whole, opportunities to advance my career with hardwork and experience were considered extremely likely within a few years.

Fast forward 4 years, and I’m a glorified customer service representative in a company that quite possibly might not exist a year from now. I have certainly gained a lot of valuable experience on the job in Sales, Accounting, Accounts Receivable especially, and have gleaned many other bits and pieces from other departments I work with, including Engineering, Purchasing, and Manufacturing. I also have a degree in family financial planning from a large university.

And I’m stuck. I’ve applied for a few government jobs and private jobs, but most of my experience doesn’t lay out real well on a resume, so getting response to an application is difficult. I’ve always handled myself pretty well in interviews, given the opportunity, but I live in one of the most populated areas of the country. There is certainly no shortage of qualified applicants for most jobs here, and I’m at a loss for how to get my resume to the top of the stack without being dishonest.

It certainly doesn’t help that I don’t have any idea what it is that I want to do. I’ve considered teaching, as I’ve always been decent at explaining things, and I’ve always been good with kids. I’ve begun looking into Maryland licensing certifications a bit, but I’m not sure the investment in time or money for certification would be justified to move to a new career I might want to leave a few years down the line.

Ideally I’d work in the beer industry, but assistant brewer jobs just don’t seem to pay the bills in my area, and are extremely competitive when they come available. I don’t think I could sell the wife on the hours a beer sales job requires, and most local breweries are set, front office-wise. I would love to work in brewery production, be it kegging, bottling, working in the lab or what have you, but with where we live, I just don’t think I can afford to.

What are some 9-5ish jobs some of you out there hold that don’t destroy your soul?

Definitely something not in Govt.

And if your experiences don't lay out well on a resume then you should find someone else to write the resume. On Govt apps, it's likely you were too brief in your descriptions. Where most places want a single page, Govt (especially federal) wants a damned autobiography.

Usually, the first stage is from someone who doesn't actually care what teh content is and just scans for keywords that correlate to the job descriptions core qualifications. Basically you have to regurgitate their single page job description across as many pages as you can possibly muster.

If your experience doesn't lay out well on a resume, change the layout of your resume. By your own account, you have good experience, so change your resume to reflect this more strongly.

Whatever you do find a new job before any potential layoffs. Or at least get the groundwork done with finished resume and target companies. Its about 500x easier to get a job when you are working then if you're unemployed.

Have you considered consulting? Based on your brief description it could be an awesome fit - especially on the more junior end of things. They love people with broad exposure and a great work ethic.

Hang in there dude...lots of people in your shoes get discouraged and stay stuck. Fight complacency and get after it. Vent here as often as necessary.

If your experience doesn't lay out well on a resume, change the layout of your resume. By your own account, you have good experience, so change your resume to reflect this more strongly.

I was a headhunter back in the day in the IT field --

When looking for a job, you are no longer a person. You are a piece of paper initially. If your resume sucks, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell to get in front of a manager.....

1) Get your resume format in line. It needs to visually look nice and be well formatted. Lots of resources online to help you out. If you are ballsy, post it here :p

2) Do not send out the same resume en masse. Each time you send out a resume, it needs to be custom tailored to the position. If the posting talks about A, B, & C - tailor the resume to target those. Now don't lie - just target the position specifically. I was unemployed for a month or so and I ended up with at least 20 slightly different resumes.

3) Find your love. It sucks not knowing what your drive is. I'm blessed to be doing what I love (software dev) so that decision was easy for me. But do not change careers before testing the water or you'll end up bouncing careers which is just going to make your resume worse.

2) Do not send out the same resume en masse. Each time you send out a resume, it needs to be custom tailored to the position. If the posting talks about A, B, & C - tailor the resume to target those. Now don't lie - just target the position specifically. I was unemployed for a month or so and I ended up with at least 20 slightly different resumes.

This and include a specific cover letter for the job/company to draw them in that you are actually a real person that wants the job not just send out resumes en masse.

I appreciate the words of advice and encouragement. I do customize my resume for any new application, and write cover letters as well. For the next couple of days I'm going to work on researching online to see what some of the best resume formats would be for someone in my position, and probably do a complete tear down on it and start from scratch.

I am interested in your perspective as a former head hunter, rhamilton; I've always assumed that they are out looking for executives, but do headhunters take on people who are younger in their careers as well?

I am interested in your perspective as a former head hunter, rhamilton; I've always assumed that they are out looking for executives, but do headhunters take on people who are younger in their careers as well?

Headhunting isn't limited to executive staffing. In my area, construction staffing, IT staffing (my field), and executive staffing are the big ones but there are all sorts of staffing agencies that specialize in whatever can make a profit. There is even a graphics design agency that strictly places artists so definitely look into what is available in your area. If there are staffing agencies in your target field, they can have exclusive placement rights for positions. In my city, IT staffing can hold between 30%-50% of all jobs available so if you don't go through them, you are missing out on a ton of opportunities. I can't say that will be the same for you, but definitely research it.

You can also look into working for a head hunting agency if you have great selling skills and are people-friendly. Commission rates are anywhere from 5%-25% and my sister pushes 6-figures every year recruiting for IT. It's hard to get started (just like real estate) and you have to deal with market shifts but if you are motivated and good at it, you can bank as fast as you place people.

Also, with 5 years of experience there are going to be some headhunters/staffing agencies that will sit down with you and help you lay out a plan (often helping you rejigger your resume, which can be bother invaluable and annoying), whereas others will try to hammer a square peg into a round hole. I had a rather odd experience of having to tell a head hunter that I didnt think we worked well together, and got a call from her house where she cried. No lie.

So my suggestion is sit down with all the major agencies in DC, maybe drop a hundo on a new men's wearhouse suit. Be very clear as to what you DON'T want, and stop working with anyone who isnt listening. Don't be discouraged if at first they act like they want to have your babies and then stop calling. And follow up email at least once a month. Jobs are homewreckers, you are most attractive to them when you already have one.

Just my $0.02

Also, with 5 years of experience there are going to be some headhunters/staffing agencies that will sit down with you and help you lay out a plan (often helping you rejigger your resume, which can be bother invaluable and annoying), whereas others will try to hammer a square peg into a round hole. I had a rather odd experience of having to tell a head hunter that I didnt think we worked well together, and got a call from her house where she cried. No lie.

So my suggestion is sit down with all the major agencies in DC, maybe drop a hundo on a new men's wearhouse suit. Be very clear as to what you DON'T want, and stop working with anyone who isnt listening. Don't be discouraged if at first they act like they want to have your babies and then stop calling. And follow up email at least once a month. Jobs are homewreckers, you are most attractive to them when you already have one.

Just my $0.02

Any ideas on how to get a recruiter to actually listen and/or help you?

I've been unemployed/underemployed for over 2 years now. The first year I was unemployed I was open to relocating for any position and taking a huge paycut. Only to find out that both the recruiters I was working with were shopping me with my previous inflated salary which companies just laughed at.

Seems Aerotek covers about 50% of the job listings in engineering if not more. I've not had any luck with Aerotek EVER. The recruiter in my industry and city area who is on the job listings just ignores my emails or so it seems. She has only called me once to offer me an interview for a $10 an hour job 50 miles away telling me it was only 20. This is a huge problem since I can no longer relocate for a position and she holds 50% of the cards for the jobs I have a background in.

Never thought I'd say it but I'd do anything just to work again!

Any ideas on how to get a recruiter to actually listen and/or help you?

Never thought I'd say it but I'd do anything just to work again!

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=engineering+staffing&hl=en&ll=39.728841,-104.922867&spn=0.536002,0.837021&sll=39.824886,-104.905701&sspn=0.535255,0.837021&gl=us&hq=engineering+staffing&t=m&z=11]Google link[/ame]

Contact everyone you can and make sure they all have your resume on file. Being out of work for that long, especially in the technical field is heavily frowned upon. I'd start with some short-term contracts and reestablish yourself and get some up-to-date manager references. Lots of people frown upon the short-term contracts, but if you go in there and impress them, you'll fetch a higher salary since you have already proved yourself to be valuable.

I don't like the nation-wide agencies so I try to stick to the regional / local agencies since they are just a little more local-friendly and hands on.

Honestly I always start with monster and then they come to me, but I'm not in engineering. I'm on the administrative side of my industry with 10 years under my belt so maybe its a bit different, but I've had success with Aerotek at least listening. I will say though, that the interview she called you for was inappropriate, and sending her an email telling her so (politely of course) does sometimes get results.

Best of luck bro, we are all in it together right now it seems.

I've found Indeed.com to be the Kayak.com of job searching. It will get you all the jobs listed on monster, careerbuilder, dice, etc. SimplyHired is strikingly similar but seems to be geared for different industries.

I'm using simplyhired to find my next "pay the bills" crappy job (or two at this point). And Indeed to search for more technical jobs.

Any reason why you're not using a financial planning degree to work in a financial setting?

Sounds like you have reasonable experience to interview for sales positions or some form of office management. I don't know what job prospects are like in those fields but I think you limit yourself too much by thinking of your job as just customer service.

If you think you have at least a year and you don't find yourself having competitive qualifications, consider going back to school to beef up your qualifications. MBA programs can be knocked out in 12-18 months if you can juggle enough hours, especially with all the online programs. If you were willing to consider going to the financial side of things a masters in finance, accounting or a CFP program would all put meat on your resume's bones.

Any reason why you're not using a financial planning degree to work in a financial setting?

Sounds like you have reasonable experience to interview for sales positions or some form of office management. I don't know what job prospects are like in those fields but I think you limit yourself too much by thinking of your job as just customer service.

If you think you have at least a year and you don't find yourself having competitive qualifications, consider going back to school to beef up your qualifications. MBA programs can be knocked out in 12-18 months if you can juggle enough hours, especially with all the online programs. If you were willing to consider going to the financial side of things a masters in finance, accounting or a CFP program would all put meat on your resume's bones.

+1 to this.

As to looking for government work: I've worked in Government most of my life, and its certainly not like it used to be. Theres no such thing as job security anymore, and everytime I blink someone's trying to take away our benefits. But if you still want to work in government, you need to be sure that you are marketable against the competition. With your financial background, the IRS would probably pick you up pretty quickly. You'd have to start at a rediculously low salary, but if you worked on an advanced degree, you could move up through the ranks quickly.

I will definitely be checking all of the websites mentioned out.

The short answer for my financial background is this: I majored in family financial planning because I naively thought I'd be able to help families like the one in which I grew up manage their money better. I strongly believe financial planning skills are severely lacking in our country, and we aren't teaching it to our kids in school.

Unfortunately, most jobs that will hire and sponsor an unlicensed financial planner are just shoving excessive life insurance policies down peoples throats, and working them 80 hours a week until they burn out after 3-4 years. I decided not to go into that industry at precisely the right time too: Had I gone into that in April 2008, I likely would have been out of work by November.

I am considering going back for additional accounting courses, but waiting for my wife to finish her Master's first, as we are paying for that as we go, and it ain't cheap.

Good luck, I was an airline pilot and hated it. Finally ended up leaving the career almost three years ago to be a stay at home dad. I was tired of the road, tired of working to pay for daycare, tired of compensation that didn't match the responsibility of being the captain. I can feel your pain.

Here's what we did. My wife also has an advanced degree (PhD in psychology), since I was able to take over our home responsibilities and lower our spending, she was able to start her own consulting business. Now we're nearly as much as we did before, and we've really been able to lower our spending. She also works from home so we're all together maybe 80% of the time. It's not perfect but it's the best working situation we've ever had.

Maybe you can stick with your current job until your wife finishes grad school, then take something more enjoyable at a lesser pay rate.

Good luck

Back