My insane 25 Gal, 100 Percent Hard Plumbed Tri-Clover, Automated Tippy Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ethernet adapters are not to be connected to switches ! They go to the Ethernet port of a computer.

Furthermore, without the wireless adapter you should have a perfect Internet connection through the Comcast device. ping www.google.com should run perfectly, zero packet loss, stable trip times.

Please run ping www.google.com and post the results here.

Internet isnt my strong suit. Are you saying connect the brewtroller directly to the comcast router? (thats what i normally do)

Thank you for going through all this with me.

how do i connect the rpi to the internet at the same time as the brewtroller?

My pleasure to help. I got some good ideas from your thread.

Lets start with getting the RPi stable and working. Connect it directly to the Comcast device. Power it up. Run ping www.google.com.

Once that is good, I recommend installing Firefox. su yum install firefox or sudo apt-get firefox, depending which distribution you are running on the RPi.

While we are at it, have you updated the RPi lately ? su yum update or whatever the equivalent is with apt.

There are graphical ways to do these things. I find it much faster to do them from the command line, plus you can copy and paste the results to this thread. You should be able to view this thread in the browser on the RPi and work directly from it. I'd connect a USB mouse and KB.

From my linux computer.

$ ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com (173.194.33.176) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=39.6 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=37.5 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=37.1 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=37.0 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=5 ttl=57 time=37.8 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=6 ttl=56 time=53.6 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=7 ttl=57 time=34.9 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=8 ttl=57 time=34.5 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=9 ttl=56 time=33.3 ms
64 bytes from sea09s18-in-f16.1e100.net (173.194.33.176): icmp_seq=10 ttl=57 time=63.2 ms
^C
--- www.google.com
C:\Users\michael>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [2607:f8b0:4010:801::1013] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4010:801::1013: time=16ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4010:801::1013: time=17ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4010:801::1013: time=16ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4010:801::1013: time=21ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4010:801::1013:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 17ms

Sorry to jump in here but the wifi adaptor device that the OP is using is a way to present Ethernet jacks to devices that don't have native wifi capability and that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get wired connectivity to that area - as in this case it was being used to avoid running a 100 foot cable. I use one of these to connect my home office to my LAN and it has 4 ports on the back of it. I need more and have a switch hanging off of it and it and all the devices on it work fine. Regardless the OP has it turned off right now anyway and is providing access to his LAN and the Internet via the 100 foot cable to the Comcast router.

From everything I've read here and my 15 mins looking at the brewtroller in the past I don't believe that you need to be connected to the Internet at all to have this thing running and accessible from devices like a laptop, RPi, etc. As the brewtroller is running a web server. But I'm not 100% on that as I haven't set one up and haven't really looked into it much. That's really the first question IMHO that needs to be answered because if Internet access is not needed you don't need to be running ping tests to google

That's really the first question IMHO that needs to be answered because if Internet access is not needed you don't need to be running ping tests to google
By pinging an external site, we just tested that the Comcast modem is working, 100 foot Ethernet cable is working and RPi has a functioning Ethernet stack. We also taught kickflip how to do a ping.

kickflip: could you insert the switch into the system and repeat the experiment ?

Sorry to jump in here but the wifi adaptor device that the OP is using is a way to present Ethernet jacks to devices that don't have native wifi capability and that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get wired connectivity to that area - as in this case it was being used to avoid running a 100 foot cable.

The more eyes the better. Feel free to jump in.

If the Wifi Adapter supports multiple clients that means it must be a DNS server and router as well as an access point. The Comcast device is also a DNS server and router.

Having both of them connected to that switch is bad news. Which device is going to respond first to a new device connected to the switch ? Which will be the default gateway ? What if the BrewTroller gets connected to one router and the RPi to the other and neither is in the DNS table of the other ? They will never find each other.

If he has a working 100 foot cable back to the Comcast router, there is no need for the Wifi adapter.

There is method to my madness !

FYI, for those following this and wanting to set up a system without a router and/or switch, it would be easy enough to connect the RPi directly to the Brewtroller using a crossover Ethernet cable and statically set the IP address of the RPi. You won't have Internet access, but you'll have a hard connection to the BrewTroller. You also won't be able to control the BrewTroller with a remote device.

Alternatively, you could connect the RPi to the Internet via a USB Wifi adapter and hard wire it to the BrewTroller with a crossover Ethernet cable. If you use this method the DNS will supply the IP address to the RPi. I haven't done a hard wired peripheral for a while, so I don't know how Linux handles the routing to the device. I think you used to have to set up an alternate gateway address, but I can't remember.

You won't be able to access the BrewTroller remotely with this method unless you set up the RPi to do NAT routing, which isn't too hard to do.

I just mention these connection methods in case people are turned off by having to buy a switch and/or wireless Ethernet adapter.

Most devices these days don't need a crossover Ethernet cable. The Ethernet port hardware is set up to detect the send/receive pairs. However, I'm not certain what is used on the RPi and BrewTroller, so I mention the crossover Ethernet cable.

I think using an RPi + touchscreen with the BrewTroller is a great way to go.

By pinging an external site, we just tested that the Comcast modem is working, 100 foot Ethernet cable is working and RPi has a functioning Ethernet stack. We also taught kickflip how to do a ping.

kickflip: could you insert the switch into the system and repeat the experiment ?

SO what would you like me to connect into the switch? The 100ft cable , the RPI and ping from the RPI?

My raspberry pi card is having issues, i have to reload rasbian wheezy. it shoudnt take me long to get it up and running (this is what i was talking about with the RPI.

The memory card itself ? How are you loading the image (ISO) on it ? Any chance you'd run Pidora ? Its Fedora based and I use Fedora on all my Linux machines. Its rock solid.

Download link for Pidora based on Fedora 20.
http://pidora.ca/pidora/releases/20/images/Pidora-2014-R3.zip

Once the repositories are set up, you should be able to use fedup to take it to F21.

sorry this was pissing me off, the loader couldnt find the .img file. I had to download a window imager and do everything backwards. crappy crappy instructions. anyways it finally booted up on the brewery. I have to run out for an hour and when i get back i will finish it up.

sorry this was pissing me off, the loader couldnt find the .img file. I had to download a window imager and do everything backwards. crappy crappy instructions. anyways it finally booted up on the brewery. I have to run out for an hour and when i get back i will finish it up.

No problem, no pressure. I'm working on other stuff. I'm subscribed to the thread. When you post I get an email and get to it when I can.

Good. So the switch works.

Now connect the BrewTroller to the switch and fire it up. Initiate communications between the RPi and the BrewTroller. Then open a terminal on the RPi and ping the IP address of the BrewTroller. Let the ping run for a while, say 20-30 seconds. We are looking for 0 lost messages, just like we've seen between the RPi and the Internet so far.

I'm off to my monthly brew club meeting.

If the ping comes back with errors, run

nmap <BrewTroller IP Address>

and

traceroute <BrewTroller IP Address>

and report what they return.

If the ping comes back clean, it looks like you have a good network between the RPi and the BrewTroller. I suggest doing a mock brew (brewing water) and controlling the BrewTroller exclusively from the RPi.

If that works, start controlling it from an external device.

I'm anxious to see how this all turns out. There is no reason for the communication between the RPi and the BrewTroller to be anything but 100% reliable. If any of these steps turn up a problem, we'll backtrack and figure it out. This stuff is pretty straight forward if you go step by step.

After I hooked up the brewtroller to the switch and ran it with the RPI, pinging the brewtroller came back clean! RPI is still pretty slow though.

After I hooked up the brewtroller to the switch and ran it with the RPI, pinging the brewtroller came back clean!

Excellent. Did you test remote access ? Remember that if you use Wifi for the remote access computer at your brewstand, it will be going back to the house, which is 100 (?) feet away. It would be nice to plug it into the switch with an Ethernet cable.

RPI is still pretty slow though.
You need an RPi 2 ! Up to 6x faster.

Excellent. Did you test remote access ? Remember that if you use Wifi for the remote access computer at your brewstand, it will be going back to the house, which is 100 (?) feet away. It would be nice to plug it into the switch with an Ethernet cable.

I connected the brewtroller, rpi to the switch, Wired with 100ft ethernet cable to Comcast router in house. Then ran the Webapp on the rpi and my wireless laptop at the same time, and it ran perfect.

I connected the brewtroller, rpi to the switch, Wired with 100ft ethernet cable to Comcast router in house. Then ran the Webapp on the rpi and my wireless laptop at the same time, and it ran perfect.

Excellent.

Now that it works properly, please report back on how you like it once you've used it. I'm considering using an RPi and touchscreen on my own system.

The more eyes the better. Feel free to jump in.

If the Wifi Adapter supports multiple clients that means it must be a DNS server and router as well as an access point. The Comcast device is also a DNS server and router.

If he has a working 100 foot cable back to the Comcast router, there is no need for the Wifi adapter.

That's not necessarily the case at all. Download the manual for the model he has. The one I have has two modes - it can pass through or it can run its own DHCP and DNS. In that mode you'd have to make sure your ip ranges don't conflict. But most likely it is in pass through mode.

I agree though that it should be the wifi bridge or the 100' cable. Not both at the same time. And the OP did state that the wifi bridge is not powered on so its not in play.

However, we still don't know if you even need Internet access to run this setup. Or maybe we have - I haven't read all of the posts yet. :cheers:

That's not necessarily the case at all. Download the manual for the model he has. The one I have has two modes - it can pass through or it can run its own DHCP and DNS. In that mode you'd have to make sure your ip ranges don't conflict. But most likely it is in pass through mode.

I agree though that it should be the wifi bridge or the 100' cable. Not both at the same time. And the OP did state that the wifi bridge is not powered on so its not in play.

However, we still don't know if you even need Internet access to run this setup. Or maybe we have - I haven't read all of the posts yet. :cheers:

I never run the wifi bridge and the 100ft ethernet cable at the same time. Its one or the other.

With brewtroller, you can run your system offline, as long as you have the LCD screen and encoder knob. Most of the time I choose to run it over the web, because I fell my system has enough safety features that I can go inside and watch a movie during brew days.

Im going to be starting another thread soon, I need some recommendations on full auto settings. Currently it skips some processes.

Slightly old thread but I have a question:

For your tippy tunp, how did you form your hoop? Did you just hand bend it around a form or did someone send it through a rolling machine?

I remember when #CoalCracker did his 1 BBL build he worked with someone on rolling the hoops for him. You can try reaching out to him to see if he has the contact information.

Slightly old thread but I have a question:

For your tippy tunp, how did you form your hoop? Did you just hand bend it around a form or did someone send it through a rolling machine?

Ask away, thats the reason I made the thread.

I used a bench vice and a mallet, with some muscling you can bend a loop. (somewhere in this forum, you can find some images) It really wasn't that difficult. Just clamp it down at one end and slowly bend it and work your way around. Once its in a circle you can push it on the ground etc to make a better shape. For my application, I couldnt find a long enough piece of steel, so I had to weld two pieces together to make the diameter. then I cut two tabs and welded them at 90 degrees to secure the band around the pot.

You can purchase the 1/2" SS 9-24 VDC 3-wire valves for $26.00 shipped.
I am currently modefining two for an additional $ 3.00 to meet my needs.

My pneumatic valves I can move in less than 1 second.
The butterflies I have don't require more than 4 Nm torque.
This hobby can drive you nuts.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Hey Claudis where are you finding this? Looking at the Festo website they want me to purchase and price everything through a distributer!? Thanks,

Are you looking for Pneumatic valves, or the little bal valves? Have you looked on ebay for the pneumatic valves?

I have a source for the little ball valves. Looking for a source of pneumatic actuators that are reasonable to outfit onto triclamp butterflies.

Back