My honey weizen has a cinamon aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a honey weizen kit from northern brewer.
Honey Weizen Extract Kit -- Kit Inventory Sheet

I just had my first beer the other day and it was pretty good. It tastes a little bit like a blue moon which makes sense because its a wheat beer. There is one kinda weird thing though the beer has a slight cinamon aftertaste. Its not unpleasant at all it actually is a pretty nice touch it makes the beer seem kinda like a holiday beer.

My question is though what could cause a cinamon taste in the beer. I used only the ingredients that came with the kit and did a 1 month primary 3 week+ bottle condition before tasting.

Yeasts traditionally used for wheat beers are often characterized by the banana and clove like esters they produce. These flavors are stronger in european hefeweizen yeasts and in belgian yeasts (which is what the Blue Moon you mentioned uses). My guess is that you either slept walked and dropped cinnamon into your beer or its just the yeast doing what it does naturally. The clove flavors resemble cinnamon a lot, Enjoy!

Back