My Hefeweizen has a Certain Twang to it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yalc

Reaction score
Here are the vitals:
Austin Homebrew Hefe
Extract with grains
Bottled spring water
WLP 300 Hefe Yeast
Fermented at 63 F for 10 days
10 days in bottles
I suspect not enough yeast and weak yeast as it was 4 months old in fridge and I pitched the vial, no starter. Ferm was not spectacular but steady. Over in about 7 days. From 1.050 down to 1.010.
Has a definite twang compared to Weihenstephaner, which is smooth and awesome.
I am going all grain from now on but was just curious about others experience.
Let the speculation commence!

My guess would be that it didn't ferment correctly due to the temperature. I've pitched yeast that was past its date by about 6 months and it came out fine, but I did let it ferment for about 3 weeks (It was a tripel).

From the labs: WLP300 ferments best at about 68 F.

I don't know if was weak yeast, because it sounds like like you got a decent fermentation, getting down to 1.010. That is certainly a possibility, though. It is only 10 days in bottles, so I would bet that it is not done priming and conditioning. Some of my beers have tasted awesome at 10 days and some have tasted weird. All of my beers have tasted good after 21 days, except the one that had the bottle infection. GIVE IT MORE TIME! :)

I got that temp from the Jamil show but I think it may have been inappropriate given the qty and age of the yeast. I have been reading that homebrewers chronically underpitch so starters are needed more often than not.

My goal in life is to make a decent Hefe that could at least compete with Weihenstephaner. So far I have failed. I have made a pretty good one but when I compare it to Weihenstephaner there is no difference. I guess that is what 1100 ish years of brewing gets you. In the mean time I will keep trying sine I love hefe's so much.

I have also considered more time but I tasted again tonight after 19 days and the twang is still there. Not a bad beer just off a little. The clove banana balance is actually quite nice.

Rjsnau,
I know what you mean. The first thing I noticed was what an awesome head the 'stephaner had in a side by side. Same glasses, same washing method and the damned head lasted 5 minutes and mine was gone in 30 sec. Then the smooth, balanced awesomeness made mine look exactly like what it was, a cheap ass wannabe.
All hail Weihenstephaner!!
I guess it is nice to have a standard to compare.

Rjsnau,
I know what you mean. The first thing I noticed was what an awesome head the 'stephaner had in a side by side. Same glasses, same washing method and the damned head lasted 5 minutes and mine was gone in 30 sec. Then the smooth, balanced awesomeness made mine look exactly like what it was, a cheap ass wannabe.
All hail Weihenstephaner!!
I guess it is nice to have a standard to compare.

I hear you, I almost always steep in some carapils or add some maltodextrine to about any kit. Just seems like they are a little bare bones most times and a little boost on the body/head retention scene is needed. You mentioned there were some additionals with the kit so maybe it already had some idk.

Latest posts

Back