My first yeast start = success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHeads

Reaction score
I was always pitching my yeast straight from its package or container... Then I decided to do a yeast starter. It was alot of fun and really allows fermentation to take off right away.

Fun to watch the yeast starter too or maybe I'm just too much of a beer geek. Lol

I just wanted to thank HomeBrewTalk for all it's info in allowing me to get it down with no problem.

Billy Broas video/post/blog was a huge help.
www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/how-make-yeast-starter-video-177635

Beer Geek Nation's Video Helped too
[ame]http://youtu.be/jMhFerNTwbQ[/ame]

And of course NorthernBrewer TV's video too.
[ame]http://youtu.be/znZtE9fcLnE[/ame]

I like to read and watch as much as I can before doing something...so when I do it, it feels like second nature. First 5 gal batch, first time kegging, building kegerator. Thanks!

Here's a picture!

image-373772116.jpg

I was always pitching my yeast straight from its package or container... Then I decided to do a yeast starter. It was alot of fun and really allows fermentation to take off right away.

Fun to watch the yeast starter too or maybe I'm just too much of a beer geek. Lol

I just wanted to thank HomeBrewTalk for all it's info in allowing me to get it down with no problem.

Billy Broas video/post/blog was a huge help.
How to Make a Yeast Starter **Video** - Home Brew Forums

Beer Geek Nation's Video Helped too
Homebrew 101: Making a Yeast Starter | Beer Geek Nation Beer Reviews - YouTube

And of course NorthernBrewer TV's video too.
Making a Yeast Starter - YouTube

I like to read and watch as much as I can before doing something...so when I do it, it feels like second nature. First 5 gal batch, first time kegging, building kegerator. Thanks!

Here's a picture!

View attachment 39953

Good deal buddy. Makes a big difference in the quality of your beer. If you don't have a stir plate, invest in one or build one. You can really whip them yeast into a frenzy.

I will be getting one soon. That's the only piece I was missing. Not too bad considering the only thing I had to pay for was the yeast. I got my flask from my boss (he randomly had one for no reason).... had DME left over from another batch.

Stir Plate is def on my TO BUY list. Gonna build a place for it in my fermentation fridge to keep it at the proper temp. My house gets hot in the summer, like HOT (damn Arizona).

Just wait until you get that stir plate going 24/7 in your kitchen. Then everyone who sees it will let you know exactly how much of a beer geek you are.

Good for you, proper attention to yeast health is one of the most important factors in developing a good and consistent brew, though it may be second to proper fermentation temperature control. It sounds like that's in your near future as well, though.

Lol yeah I bet.

Oh temperature control is already down! I have an old wine fridge hooked up to a Johnson temp. Controller!

Just wait until you get that stir plate going 24/7 in your kitchen. Then everyone who sees it will let you know exactly how much of a beer geek you are.

Good for you, proper attention to yeast health is one of the most important factors in developing a good and consistent brew, though it may be second to proper fermentation temperature control. It sounds like that's in your near future as well, though.

Yep.... look at a stir starter stir plate. price is right and it works great. Less than the ingredients for a good brew and will improve your brews sooooooooo much.

edited for fat finger spelling errors.

Lol gotcha. Same here.. Well is more like "damn you auto correct!" haha that site is awesome.

A starter should go for 24 hours for pitching correct? If you get a stir plate do you leave it on and stirring the whole 24 hours? I've read reviews that some get hot and the motor might not last long if left on that long repeatedly.

A starter should go for 24 hours for pitching correct? If you get a stir plate do you leave it on and stirring the whole 24 hours? I've read reviews that some get hot and the motor might not last long if left on that long repeatedly.

24 hours should do it for most starters, depending on the size. You should be stirring for the entire time that starter is fermenting. If you get a decent stir plate, there should be no problem of your motor crapping out. In my lab at Vanderbilt, we commonly leave stir plates running for weeks at a time and I've never seen one crap out.

+1 mcnewcp. No worries about the motor burning out. My stir plate is made from an enterprise class computer fan, it should run longer than I have interest in using it.

I recently saw a video from Wyeast with a guy talking about the length of time required to get the starter ready. He maintained that the yeast were done reproducing and "fattening up" after 18-24 hours. After that, according to him, they yeast will start to burn through some of their reserves and if left too long, will eventually become unhealthy yeast that you wouldn't want to pitch.

Honestly, I would always let my starter go 2 or 3 days, decant and pitch. This last Sunday I made a RIS with OG of 1.104, pitched a starter I made from washed yeast 18 hours earlier. I pitched the entire starter, which was at high krausen, and had activity 4 hours later.

Good stuff! :rockin:

Back