My first taste of EdWort's Apfelwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henny

Reaction score
Being uberimpatient, I decided to take a gravity reading of my 3 week old Apfelwein.

All I have to say is WOW, my hydrometer read 15% :drunk: I stole enough for a small glass, put it in the freezer to chill and let me tell you, this is tasty stuff! My wife will not drink anything other than Chardoney, and she thought it was good too.

Thanks EdWort! Looking forward to the final (hopefully clear) product!

15%??? I am still fermenting my first batch but I thought it was suppose to finish around 8-10%. I am only a little over a week into it so I still have five weeks before I can taste it... :drunk:

Yeah, I accidentally put in sugar of a 5 gallon batch into a 4 gallon one. DOH! Suprising though it is not hot at all. Smells kinda like rotten apples but tastes delicious!

How can your hydro read 15%? Do you mean that your original gravity indicated a potential alcohol of 15% and now it has fermented to dryness?

Jared is correct, that is a beefy Apfelwein on the standard of Thor the Mighty. I believe his brought about images of nungrudle and other oddities.... lol good times.

Henny, congrats you will now be prepared to visit any new winery and try their fresh product. That is what a active winery smells and tastes like. Try your best to wait 7 months before consumption, it will be a truly worthy beverage by then,

How can your hydro read 15%? Do you mean that your original gravity indicated a potential alcohol of 15% and now it has fermented to dryness?

Yup, it started at 15% and ended under 0%, the directions say to subtract them for the ABV.

Henny, congrats you will now be prepared to visit any new winery and try their fresh product. That is what a active winery smells and tastes like. Try your best to wait 7 months before consumption, it will be a truly worthy beverage by then,

Yeah, I live right by Wollersheim Winery so I am familiar with wine making and fresh stuff. I do not know if any of this first batch will make it past the end of february, yum yum!

Yep. Start one with a little less sugar in it and you can drink it soon after it's done. that'll distract you while you let the other batch age. Oh, and when your second batch is in bottles... start your third. :D

7 months for apfelwein... well maybe since its got a 15% abv, i was under the imporssion that Edworts was drinkable after about 1-3 months ageing, after fermentation. But i guess thats the regular 9-10% brand... this rocket fule you made, well well... you added alot more then the ammount of sugar edwort adds to even his 5 gallon batches, Ed only does about 2lbs... even in 4 gallons of stright juice (which is between 1.060 - 1.045) thats a max OG of only 1.075,with 2lbs of sugar, allowed to finnish to .990 your looking at only just under 12%... you added an extra lb of sugar somewhere there... glad you like the stuff

cheers

15% Holy Cow! You have been warned. :D

ApfelweinWarning.jpg

Try your best to wait 7 months before consumption, it will be a truly worthy beverage by then,

That's nothing...I have a case of 0,5l bottles of EAW that I bottled in Oct 07...last time I sampled it was in 8 Nov 08...it's now 27 Jan 09...:D

I also have 1 bottle left from my first mead. I made it in 1994...I plan to drink it at my retirement party sometime between July and next Jan...

At 3 weeks, my first batch is still bubbling away happily, albeit less frequently. I've finally learned some patience and will hold of sampling until some future date. Probably when I keg the next brew.

Latest posts

Back