My First Spunding Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my home made spunding valve with my Evil Pumpkin Pie Ale in the keg.

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

Parts List:

Ball Lock Gas Disconect $5.50
1/4" ffl to 1/4" mpt $6.95
1/4" fpt to 1/4" fpt $1.99
Wye Splitter $7.50
Pressure Gauge $7.95
Pressure Relief Valve $16.56

Grand Total = $46.45

I used CO2 the set the gasket, but i was wondering how long it should take for the pressure to build up from the fermentation? And roughly how long does it take for the yeast to ferment out?

Very Awesome, you should post a parts list and build instructions. Even though it has been done, that's because that one is yours!

This is my spunding valve! Many are like her, but this one is mine...!

Thanks for the part list, I could not find something similar and as detailed on HBT. I really want to be able to monitor the pressure while priming in a keg. I will definitely use this to finish fermenting in a keg as well to carbonate even sooner, without priming.

do you know when it is finished carbonating by a certain psi number on the gauge? or is that just to be sure you don't lose any of the pressure to oxidize the beer in the process of the couple weeks of naturally carbonating?

is this the same idea? when looking at the individual products you listed it appears midwest supplies already sells the same type of item, just need to add the disconnect..

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bleeder-valve-assembly.html

The assembly from midwest does not have an adjustable valve, that can be used to set a target pressure (useful if you want to transfer beer under pressure, or if you want to ferment under pressure without creating a bomb).
If your goal is just to monitor pressure while priming in a keg, it will be enough. I saw a post where someone added the adjustable valve to the assembly from midwest as well.

do you know when it is finished carbonating by a certain psi number on the gauge? or is that just to be sure you don't lose any of the pressure to oxidize the beer in the process of the couple weeks of naturally carbonating?

When the pressure stops rising, it means your yeast is done eating the priming sugar. At room temperature, for an average CO2 volume, the pressure is around 25psi.
While priming, this tool is useful for the both reason you highlighted: to know when the beer is carbonated, and to make sure you do not have a slow leak somewhere.
It can also be used to ferment under pressure, and to transfer beer under pressure.

if i get one of these for my keg to let it condition in there w/o my fridge, what would i pressure it up to before disconnecting it from the CO2 and adding this for monitoring?

Hit it with 30psi to seal the keg, then plug the valve. You should read 30psi. In the first couple days, this CO2 will go into solution, and the pressure will drop to something around 5psi. If your keg does not seal right, it might drop to 0. In that case, just hit it again with 30psi. After those couple days, the pressure will start rising due to the priming sugar. After 2 weeks or so, it stabilizes to something around 25psi.

thanks for the help.. i have a new keg being delivered next week for my irish red.. i'll probably get another for the imperial stout i'm brewing, that may be a good idea for the stout!

i know this is an older thread...

The assembly from midwest does not have an adjustable valve, that can be used to set a target pressure (useful if you want to transfer beer under pressure, or if you want to ferment under pressure without creating a bomb).
If your goal is just to monitor pressure while priming in a keg, it will be enough. I saw a post where someone added the adjustable valve to the assembly from midwest as well.

they do have one that is adjustable http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ball-lock-adjustable-pressure-valve-w-gauge.html but out of stock

This is a variable release valve, correct? It relieve pressure when over the designated PSI, correct?

Back