My First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amiaji

Reaction score
Finally decided to give making a recipe a try. What do you guys think of this. I am after a Guiness with a bit more flavor.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Wayne
Boil Size: 7.03 gal
Boil Time: 60min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.17 %
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
1.25 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.57 %
Bitterness: 43.2 IBU
Est Color: 33.7 SRM

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Was thinking maybe add some acid malt to it? Not sure how much I should add. Tell me what you think.

2-4 oz of acid malt will give you some kick. Or you could add some lactic acid at bottling/kegging to taste.

I would use crystal 60 rather than 120. 120 will give you a slight raisins/fruity flavor that is not matched with the style. Otherwise I think this will be good. I like C hops in dark brews myself.

I would actually cut the crystal malt out all together. It will add some sweetness, caramel flavor, and a little extra body that negatively affects the dryness for a dry stout. I definately wouldn't suggest using it in greater amounts than the roasted barley, because that is what gives the traditional stout flavor, and that much caramel malt will mask that little roasted barley. I would actually up the roasted barley also. That yeast isn't that attenuative, so you may end up with too much residual sweetness if you include the crystal malt and have that little roasted barley.

The chocolate malt will add the extra flavor that you may be seeking. Of course, this is all based on the traditional Guiness flavor, if something a little sweet and caramely what you are going for then by all means, go right ahead. It's your recipe, and there is nothing anywhere that says you have to follow style guidlines.

I'm going to concur. Either keep the 120L Crystal and cut it back to no more than 4-6 ounces, or change the crystal to 40-60L. 120L Crystal is really, really powerful; it's quite easy to go too far with it.

I think the rest of the recipe is fine. I predict it'll turn out very full-bodied and certainly different than Guinness.

Were you shooting to replicate Guinness, I'd recommend the acidulated malt. As you're not, the crystal and the acidulated malt will tend to cancel each other, so I wouldn't bother, were I you.

Cheers!

Bob

OK I revised the grain bill. How does this look?

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %

1.25 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.2 IBU

Back