My first partial mash, but using a strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
I was going to do my first partial mash brew this weekend, but then read up more on Palmer's book and he says using a strainer is gonna aerate the hot wort and cause oxidation problems later.

I plan on aging this beer for a bit so I'm guessing I should just wait until I can build a mash/lauter tun before I go partial mash?

Thanks

If you want to try a PM with a strainer, I say go ahead and try it. Just try and keep aeration of the wort to a minimum. I think most here would agree that HSA is much more a threat than a consequence.

Especially for a PM, I say no worries.

I was going to do my first partial mash brew this weekend, but then read up more on Palmer's book and he says using a strainer is gonna aerate the hot wort and cause oxidation problems later.

I plan on aging this beer for a bit so I'm guessing I should just wait until I can build a mash/lauter tun before I go partial mash?

Thanks

HSA has generally been discredited. There is a picture of a commercial brewery splashing their hot wort 3-4 feet into the boil pot. I've used a strainer many times until I invested the $2.00 for a paint strainer bag for my brewing. Don't worry about it, I've never noticed any issues.

Until I got my igloo tun, I always used a strainer for my partial mashes and had NO oxidation issues whatsoever.

+1 on the paint strainer bags. They work great and make draining and sparging super easy.

HSA = Hot Side Aeration, the thing Palmer says to watch out for, but that lots of people now think is something one needn't really worry about.

Back