My first Kveik brew - QUESTIONS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxxyc

New and loving it
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I made my first kveik beer about 2 weeks ago. I wanted it nice and clean and ready for a party that's coming up on Friday and I decided to use the packet of Kveik Voss I had lying around. First off, the recipe:

For a 21l batch:

3.2kg Pils malt
100g Munich T1
100g Munich T2
350g Dextrose at the end of the boil

12g Nugget @ 60 minutes for 22 IBUs
12g Mittelfrueh @ flameout for flavour

I didn't take gravity readings mostly as I've done this process a million times with similar batch sizes so I just went with it. Not too bothered with ABV anyway. So on to it.

I usually mash, this one was mashed for an hour like always, and then dunk sparge the bag in warm water (not hot). Same was done here. Wort was tapped into the fermenter and placed under airlock while it cooled down (overnight). Next morning the wort was at ~26°C and I pitched the Voss. I wrapped the fermenter in my electric blanket on the medium setting and it kept the fermenter at 28°C for 5 days. Fermentation was complete after 3 (no activity, no CO2 escaping, krauzen dropped) and then I cold crashed the beer.

I kept it at cold crash for 3 days before fining with gelatin as per regular method (boiling water in cup, teaspoon of gelatin into water, stir until dissolves, nuke for a few seconds to make sure it's sterile and pour into fermenter). It sat on the gelatin for another 3 days or so before I tapped into the keg.

Immediately as I tapped into the keg, I noticed a smell in the beer I have not planned for. It smells like rotten or fermenting fruit, but not cider. It's fruity, but not citrussy or spicy, and it's not particularly fresh either. I took a sip of the cold but uncarbonated beer and the taste was less intense than the smell, but still so. On top of that, the taste has a dry, almost puckering finish, indicating to me, tannins. I don't know where those tannins would come from as I didn't abuse the malt during the sparge, and all I can think of is "dextrose", but that doesn't make sense to me. It has a bit of warmth that a 5% beer like this would have, but it's not hot.

So I decided to push through as I need beer for the party, and set it under pressure in the keg anyway. This was on Monday evening. 24 hours later I decided to give it a shot, and while those notes dissipated a bit, it's still there. I'll give it time until this afternoon and check again. I'm not sure what it could be, I'm stumped. Everything logical about this beer screams "infection" to me, but I don't know.

When I cold crashed I moved it into my fermentation fridge, set to 1°C. Because I had another keg in the fridge as well, I had to move the shelf for the fermenter higher, which meant there was no space for the airlock. The fermenter stood in the fridge without the airlock for about a week, but it was super cold, so I almost can't think that's where the infection came in, although it's the only place I can think of.

Any other ideas? I'm really not a fan of this beer and while I hate dumping beer (I drink even my bad beers), this one might be my first dumper in a looooong time. Is this not maybe specific to Kveik? I dunno.

I got one, actually, but I'm not sure if I want to run beer through it. The hop oil flavours tend to stick around for a while in it.

I officially tanked this brew and it's harvested yeast jars. I'm not taking chances.

Sounds like a good idea. I have only made 3 Voss beers. I could see "rotten or fermenting fruit" being a possibility but "dry, almost puckering finish" sure points at something going wrong.

Nothing but great beers from various Kveik for me. In fact, kveik season is coming soon in Charleston, SC. I like it hot!

I'm starting to think I have a massive problem. I made more beers over the past week and no-chill cubed them all. One of those cubes was puffed up when I got to it this morning. There's an infection in there - same smell as in the other off beers I've dumped in the past week. Could there be an infection in my brewhouse?

I usually mash and boil in the same vessel, and do 30-minute boils. In the last 5 minutes of the boil I place the lid on the kettle to keep the contents clean, and then I connect a silicon hose that goes directly into a new HDPE2 container. Wort gets tapped into the container, sealed with a lid with tamper-evident ring and then shaken to get the entire inside coated in boiling hot wort.

This is then placed in a dark corner to cool down before I can ship it to a client. I don't get how that can have an infection in it when there's 20 litres of boiling solution in there. I'm confused as hell.

You stated "into a new cube". Did you run a CIP on the cube? Manufacture oils need to be removed and I use a dish soap first then do a PBW and sanitizer. New doesn't equal clean.

Nope, I don't clean the cubes. I collect them from where they're made - and they're clean. Super clean. I've done over 7,000 litres of beer in those cubes and never had an issue - so this is strange to me.

Anyway, I went and bought new cubes yesterday and I re-made the batch. So far, so good.

At least my helles seems to be going well.

Back