My First Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
Im maybe 25 batches in and I seem to have gotten my first infection. It appears as a browny film over the beer - even looks powdery in places, almost like somebody caked saw dust on it. It has a bit of a sour smell. I left it in the primary for 6 weeks while I was away for work. I came back and opened the lid to do some dry hopping - this is what i found. Ive heard of many brewers bottling it anyways, but I don't really want to risk infecting my autosiphon and bottling bucket. It just doesn't seem worth it. Should I ditch the bucket or just clean it with bleach?

image.jpg

Just had my first one as well after a couple dozen batches. Didn't look as crunchy as yours but I did end up bottling. I now fully understand why everyone says "Keep cold and drink quick" because it is super overcarbed
and getting worse. Tastes fine though. Curious how others may respond regarding cleaning funked equipment. Usually PBW & Star San here but is a bleach bomb needed?

dump it. You won't drink it, and the bottles that sit there will either explode or go wasted while you buy new bottles for the next batch.

dump it. You won't drink it, and the bottles that sit there will either explode or go wasted while you buy new bottles for the next batch.

I second that motion. Why risk contaminating all your equipment? That said, I haven't experienced an infection yet (knock on wood) so take it FWIW. 100% sure I would dump it if I were in the same situation and knew it was infected.

Could just be kraeusen. Take a sample check gravity and drink the sample. No known pathogens can survive in beer ....... it will not kill you!!!

It may be just fine.

If infected, fill with mild bleach solution (1 tablespoon in a gallon), and leave for a few days. Rinse a few times with a small amount of hot water. Have any tubing immersed in the bucket while cleaning. Siphon bleach solution out of bucket with any 'suspect' tubes to clean them out.

Back