My first high gravity beer - question about ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
So tomorrow afternoon is gonna be AWESOME!

A) Half day at work :ban:
B) College World Series starts at 2pm :ban::ban:
C) Gonna start brewing around 12pm with my first high gravity beer...a wee heavy scotch ale! :ban::ban::ban:

Beersmith shows that the OG is gonna be 1.099, and the ABV estimate is coming in at 10.2%, which is on the high end of the style. If I overshoot the OG and say end up at 1.110...should I dilute it to bring it back down so the ABV is a warming sensation instead of a burning one.

Tomorrow is gonna be Awwwweeesssommmeeee :D

AG or extract? I would try to get as close to your estimated OG as possible. If that means adding water than so be it, but you should be able to figure that out preboil (if you are AG)

It's all grain, but I'm still honing in on the actual efficiency numbers of my system. Not sure exactly what they are yet...

I would take the OG you get, at the correct volume and NOT water it down. IMO, it's better to know what your system will do with that much grain than to chase a lower OG number. You can quickly add too much water and be under your target. Would you rather have something more substantial, or less? Personally, I'd take the higher OG and let it ride. Of course, that's assuming you're using a yeast that can handle the higher OG and made a starter for it far enough ahead.

IF you have something that goes far past what your primary yeast can handle, and you don't mash too high, you can always add another yeast to finish things off.

Of course, it would help if you posted the recipe, along with OG and FG estimates. Include the mash schedule in the information. If it's already brewed, then it would be interesting to see what you made as well as what you end up with when it's going into bottle, or glass.

Back