My FIRST Hefeweizen. Supply List and Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey home brewers.

I am very new to home brewing and hope you all can answer some simple recipe ingredient questions before I start the purchasing of supplies and also answer some brewing process questions. My favorite beer is a wheat beer, specifically hefeweizens, so naturally I want to brew some up. I conjured up the list of ingredients and recipe from the two links below.

http://tinyurl.com/maxflhy
and
http://tinyurl.com/kbz3vv4

Do these recipes seem to be worthy enough for a good hefe? [Extract]

Here are the ingredients I plan on purchasing (5 gallon batch):
2 X Briess Dried Malt Extract- Bavarian Wheat- 3 Lb.
1 X German or US Tettnang Hops? (What'll be the difference?)
1 X White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast WL380

IF SO, are the items listed above the correct quantity and ingredients laid out in the recipe?

I am looking for a banana focused so what is the best temp. to ferment at for this?

Please comment and give me any tips for all you out there that have experience with brewing hefe's. I plan to tweak and perfect this batch over time to have my self a new favorite beer I can finally call my own.

Thanks, lashack

Last edited:
I made a great Banana focused Hefe(galaxian monkey ballz) for my third brew in. I didnt use tettnang (used galaxy) or the WL380(used WL300) so i cant comment on either. I did add some caramel 40l and bavarian wheat as a mini mash along with the DME later in the boil. I also added about 12oz of this nice honey to raise the ABV.

As for your banana question...You will get banana esters at higher fermenting temps. I pitched and kept it at 70F for mine and it came out great. A big banana aroma with a touch of clove in the back.

Banana flavor = WLP300 at 68-70 degrees. >72 = bubblegum flavor

I'm not sure if you're into steeping grains but try putting ~25% caramel/crystal to give it a harder color and a little more flavor

To get a cloudy part of a hefeweizen I steep some flaked wheat (1 lb. suggested for you) and remove not quite all of it for the boil. I agree with the fermentation temperatures above. Try like hell to keep them stable temps through the primary fermentation (monitor closely). The difference in Tettnang hops is probably not perceptible for this batch. If in doubt go with the German hops. With your recipe, I think you should get about a 1.054 O.G. and I'd expect you could get a 1.013 F.G. for a 5.4% ABV.

Back