my first cider results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolimitnick

Reaction score
I finished my first cider and brew tonight ever. My recipe is 6 gal of juice, 6 lb of sugar, 4 tbs yeast nutrients, 1 tbs of pectic enzyme, wyeast 4766 cider. I started it on 6-6-12 with an o.g. of 1.082 and i bottled it with and f.g. of 1.011. It's not clear but i don't care about that for my first batch. I will have this gone in about 2 weeks. But out to the fermenter it tasted pretty carbed.

Is this normal?

I'm going to age it 2 days then im going to cold crash some and then pasteurize the rest.

If it was already pretty carb'd aging it another 2 days you might end up with bottle bombs. If the cider is still cloudy and the bottles are carbed already there is probably still active fermentation going on.

I want just a bit more carb but i have some extra screw on bottles i can check to keep from bombs. But im glad to know that it is normal. Im stopping the fermentation early to keep it from going too dry.

Back