My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m new to this forum and am starting my first Weißbier! Originally from Ireland and love German beer as I’ve visited a few times. Does it look okay so far? Only a hour or so into fermentation
image.jpg

Yes. Get it out of the light and somewhere you can control the temperature.
Thank you! I have the light off and it’s still in that back room. Is the temperature okay if I have the thermostat set? I don’t really have a way of controlling it. Thank you so much btw!

Yes. Get it out of the light and somewhere you can control the temperature.
He means to get it out of where there is UV light present. Most household lights put out none or very little but sunlight is really bad as the stronger UV will cause changes to the hop oils and produce a skunk odor.

Having the thermostat set might be OK or really bad depending on what it is set at. I keep my thermostat at 72F for the main living area but where I ferment my beer the temp is 62-65 and that lower temp is sufficient to make good beer. If I were to try to ferment where it is 72F, the yeast would produce off flavors as the faster activity of the yeast will drive the temperature too high. Depending on what the temperature is where you ferment the beer, simply setting the fermenter into a tub of water may be sufficient to maintain the beer temperature in a good range.

Each different yeast will have a preferred temperature range. You may have to look up the yeast you use to see what it is. Nottingham will ferment pretty clean over a wide range, from about 55F to 72F. The saison yeast I used a couple times liked finishing at 85.

He means to get it out of where there is UV light present. Most household lights put out none or very little but sunlight is really bad as the stronger UV will cause changes to the hop oils and produce a skunk odor.

Having the thermostat set might be OK or really bad depending on what it is set at. I keep my thermostat at 72F for the main living area but where I ferment my beer the temp is 62-65 and that lower temp is sufficient to make good beer. If I were to try to ferment where it is 72F, the yeast would produce off flavors as the faster activity of the yeast will drive the temperature too high. Depending on what the temperature is where you ferment the beer, simply setting the fermenter into a tub of water may be sufficient to maintain the beer temperature in a good range.

Each different yeast will have a preferred temperature range. You may have to look up the yeast you use to see what it is. Nottingham will ferment pretty clean over a wide range, from about 55F to 72F. The saison yeast I used a couple times liked finishing at 85.
Thank you very much for the info! I have it in the back room where sunlight can’t get in. I also have the thermostat set at 72 at the kit says 60-75 I’m going to take y’all’s advice and go out and get a bucket and some thermo strips just so I can monitor the temperature! I’ve tried to read as much about it but I can only learn so much so I really appreciate the feedback from experienced people!

Welcome to the World of Brewing and welcome to HBT!

As you can tell you'll get lots of advice here from lot of experienced brewers and shared info from folks just learning.

I'd find a spot in your home to keep your fermenting brew so it's safe from light and extreme temperature swings. You could also wrap your fermenter or put something over it, like a box. During fermentation heat is generated so watch the temp so you're not overshooting the temp you want to maintain so the yeast is happy.

The information on brewing is overwhelming for sure and it's hard to figure out where/what you should read. The "Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian is a great book to start with. Most brewers have a copy in their libraries. It's a fun read and has lots of solid information.

Keep reading, keep learning and enjoy this great hobby!

I also have the thermostat set at 72 at the kit says 60-75
As RM-MN said, each yeast has it's own optimal temperature range. There is a lot of overlap and kit instructions are usually generic. The yeast packet included with the kit should give information that is more specific to that strain. I think most weissbier yeasts are OK up to about 75, but some probably should be kept below 70.

As RM-MN said, each yeast has it's own optimal temperature range. There is a lot of overlap and kit instructions are usually generic. The yeast packet included with the kit should give information that is more specific to that strain. I think most weissbier yeasts are OK up to about 75, but some probably should be kept below 70.
So I took everyone’s advice and put the Carboy in a 5 gallon bucket and filled a little bit of the bucket with ice so it’ll cool because it can get hot in here! Also bought a thermo strip to tell the temperature and it’s looking good so far so thank you so much everyone for helping! :D

Use the search function on this site for "swamp cooler". Lots of threads explaining the tub full of water/ice method to keep the fermenter cool. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey everyone! I’m new to this forum and am starting my first Weißbier! Originally from Ireland and love German beer as I’ve visited a few times. Does it look okay so far? Only a hour or so into fermentation
Congrats!
Don't sweat the temperature or the light too much! Become aware of them of course....but mostly have fun with the first few just getting the base process and some of your own drinkable beers down!

Congrats!
Don't sweat the temperature or the light too much! Become aware of them of course....but mostly have fun with the first few just getting the base process and some of your own drinkable beers down!
Had a half bottle in the batch so I tried it today. Needs 2 more days to carbonate but it actually tastes pretty authentic! Thank you so much everyone for the tips! I’m so happy I found a cool new hobby!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back