My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockchance

Reaction score
I've gotten all the equipment I need now I just need a simple recipe. I don't really want to buy a kit because they are twice the cost of buying everything separately. Also alot of the recipes I find are kind of confusing. When adding the hops it will say .5 oz 60 minuets then .05 30 minutes and so on. Does that mean boil for 60 minutes then add the next or start a timer for 60 minutes and add the next with 30 left? Thanks for any help

Last edited:
For hop additions, the 60 minute hop addition will be added when you start the 60 minute boil timer. The 30 minutes will go in with 30 minutes remaining in the boil. Each time addition is the time remaining in the boil.

I have a recipe where the bittering hops go in at the start of the 60-minute boil (or at 60 minutes), and flavoring hops at 5 minutes to go in the boil (or 5 minutes).

I also have a recipe where it's hops at 60, at 30, and at 10.

The reason for the different times is that bittering hops need a longish boil to convert the alpha acids to bittering compounds; the flavor compounds are boiled off. But if you add hops late, the flavor and aroma compounds aren't boiled off completely, and end up in the beer. Which is a good thing. :)

With Father's Day coming up I wanted to make some for my ol man. Do you know of any simple citra ipa recipes. Which is his favorite👍🏻

I've gotten all the equipment I need now I just need a simple recipe. I don't really want to buy a kit because they are twice the cost of buying everything separately. Also alot of the recipes I find are kind of confusing. When adding the hops it will say .5 oz 60 minuets then .05 30 minutes and so on. Does that mean boil for 60 minutes then add the next or start a timer for 60 minutes and add the next with 30 left? Thanks for any help

If you are just starting, I'd do a kit or two before you start with recipes. Just one less thing to complicate things, as you get everything needed in one package. You'll find that kits are not twice the cost of buying everything once you price everything out. And if you are ordering online, you'll find that most grains are sold in 1lb increments, sometimes .5 lb. So when you need say 4oz you got to order the whole pound.

Back