My first brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksutton2

Reaction score
I just transferred to my secondary fermentor. I did not have any foam in the primary fermentor. Maybe a little around the edges. My hydrometer reading looked good. Should I be concerned I did not have much foam?

Thanks for your help.

How long was it in primary and at what temperature? What kind of vessel? If you used a bucket you might not have seen the fermentation. Sometimes there is a lot of dried foam on the sides of the vessel and other times there is not much.

If you had the right temperature and long enough primary fermentation you should be on track for a great beer.

In the future you can skip the secondary entirely by leaving the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottling if you want to.

Thanks for the response. I had it in the primary for a week. I did not see any bubbling today. I did see a lot 24 to 48 hours in. I did see some foam or scum on the edges. I had it stored at around 65 degrees. It was in a beer kit bucket.

Nothing to worry about at all if your hydrometer reading looked good. Here's a picture from my first brew, a belgian wit. There's a little foam on top, but not much, and not much stuck to the sides, either. I have 10 gallons of beer in 2 carboys downstairs that were brewed a week ago and they have nothing on the surface.

4224418442_67780eecef_z.jpg

Relax & have a beer. It sounds like your yeast did their job :mug:

Back