My first beer swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
I was recently contacted by another homebrewer here in the Birmingham, Alabama area who had seen me here on HBT, had read my blog, and wanted to know if I would be interested in a bottle swap.

Yes. Yes, I would. We will be meeting today.

He is apparently bringing three or four different beers, even though he knows that I only have one of my own currently ready for consumption. I feel a little odd, like that's not a fair trade, but I can see where he is coming from, too - he wants honest feedback from another brewer (as opposed to from friends who are hesitant to say anything but praise in fear of losing out on free beer), and isn't worried about a trade ratio as much as he is getting that feedback.

One very cool thing about this is that he is bringing at least two styles that I am unfamiliar with (a dunkel and an altbier), so I'll get a chance to broaden my horizons with free beer!

I have to admit that I am pretty nervous. The beer I am offering (Yorkshire square brown ale) is from my very first batch. I think that it is quite good - but it's not perfect. My neighbor (a professed BMC guy who "doesn't like dark beer"... and a guy that doesn't really like me, personally) told me that he enjoyed the beer and would love to have more. A friend who is a craft brew drinker also told me that it was good... but see the above comment about friends and free beer.

Ah, well. I guess that the only thing to so is to just go with it. Enjoy this guy's beer, give him honest feedback, and try to make use of the feedback he gives me, right?

This sounds like the start of a homebrew club if I ever heard one...

Basically we get together move through the "club business" as fast as possible and then socialize and try each others stuff and give feedback.
This not only has broadened my horizon on beer styles but also in catching off flavors and how to correct them.

FWIW it is MUCH harder to walk up to a strangers door than have a stranger over. ;)

This sounds like the start of a homebrew club if I ever heard one...

That sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. Maybe we need to start looking at finding some other brewers here in Birmigham. Illegal or not, we exist! :)

This first meeting should be an easy one - we're doing a lunch break meeting in a parking lot to do our swap. Nobody at anyone's house.

It's a great start and once you meet one, you'll meet more. I am part of a club/group of about a dozen or so and swapping beer is a lot of fun!

You get great feedback, learn a lot and get to try a lot of beer that you may not have a desire to brew yourself.

So, we met... wow. I feel like a heel. I brought my one bottle (I did offer more), he brought an entire six pack - no duplicates!

At least two of these will be completely new styles for me. I feel really priviledged to get to do this.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. He obviously wanted you to try them. Just take the time to carefully consider them and give him the thoughtful feedback he's after. I'm sure that'll setup the start of a regular swap arrangement for you both, which means you'll both be making better beer, basically for free!

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. He obviously wanted you to try them. Just take the time to carefully consider them and give him the thoughtful feedback he's after. I'm sure that'll setup the start of a regular swap arrangement for you both, which means you'll both be making better beer, basically for free!

This is my full intention. He and I have very similar outlooks on beer, it seems; neither of us drink a lot, though we enjoy brewing. Honestly... had I had multiple batches ready and he'd only had one, I would have done the same thing he did - the feedback itself would have certainly been better to me than the chance to try new beer (though I certainly love to try new beer).

I intend to familiarize myself with the style guidelines for his beers, then give a very thorough review of every facet (as best a noob like myself can do).

Illegal or not, we exist! :)

I ALWAYS assume that all the AL homebrewers have a storage shed in a neighboring state. ;) It is NOT a good idea to act otherwise/admit differently on this forum as illegal activities ect. can get a thread closed, not to mention this is open to the public so you never know who is reading posts. :p

I wish you and every AL homebrewer the best of luck not only brewing but getting your laws changed.

:mug:

I ALWAYS assume that all the AL homebrewers have a storage shed in a neighboring state. ;) It is NOT a good idea to act otherwise/admit differently on this forum as illegal activities ect. can get a thread closed, not to mention this is open to the public so you never know who is reading posts. :p

I wish you and every AL homebrewer the best of luck not only brewing but getting your laws changed.

:mug:

Wise stance by you. We do have a bill in front of the state house (though they are incompetant clowns who typically refuse to vote on - much less pass - anything that doesn't benefit them directly).

Do note that Alabama does not enforce its law banning homebrewing. We do have an LHBS or two, and they are not harassed. I expect that if anyone DOES get arrested, some laywer or ten will gleefully challenge the constitutionality of the antiquiated law that should be overriden by the federal statute.

Quick update: wow. I just tried my first of this guy's (Stonehands here on HBT) beers - a dunkel. This was my first exposure to the style.

I can't get over how clean and balanced this beer is, how incredibly drinkable it is. It makes me want to throw rocks at my own beer! LOL

I'll be posting a full blog entry tomorrow, just wanted to brag on the quality of this brew. If all of his beers are this good, I'm in for an unfair treat.

It is really exciting to try other people's homebrews and just as exciting to have someone who is just as excited about the hobby as you are to try yours. I have traded with 2 people off of this forum and got to try some things that I have never had before like a few session beers and some dandelion wine.

:mug: To HBT

Latest posts

Back