My first batch!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tethell

Reaction score
American cream ale ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393138729.847368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Il post more pics as it goes on. My directions weren't very good how long do you think this should ferment for. The kit said leave it for 2 days after the air lock stops bubbling. Is that a good idea and how long will that take?

I would follow the kit but check your temp to make sure it's fermenting correct if it's too cool it might stop, action in your air lock means everything is fine,the FG (final gravity) should be the same over a few days, not worth rushing, patients is the key in this game, good luck, I'll look forward to the finish product

I would follow the kit but check your temp to make sure it's fermenting correct if it's too cool it might stop, action in your air lock means everything is fine,the FG (final gravity) should be the same over a few days, not worth rushing, patients is the key in this game, good luck, I'll look forward to the finish product

I would NOT follow the instructions. !

It looks nice BTW
I would make sure the temp is right , for me that's 62 and cooler if it starts frothing up, then after a few days keep it at 62ish for at least two weeks, then take an SG check, then leave it another week at least, then check SG three days apart, if stable bottle it.

Two to 4 weeks from when you pitched your yeast will be a good range, depending on what your hydrometer tells you. Make sure to take at least 2 readings a couple days apart to be sure it is done fermenting. The more time you leave it in the fermenter, the more yeast will drop out so you have less in the bottom of your bottles. The one beer I left for 9 weeks had so little yeast in the bottom of the bottles it was hard to see it while the ones that were only left 10 days had a quarter inch. I've heard people say not to leave beer in the primary too long but one guy I talk with left his for 8 months and he said that wasn't too long.

I like to start my beer fermenting at the cool end of the yeast's preferred range and after the ferment slow down I bring them to 72 for the rest of the time. Any off flavors are created between the time you pitch the yeast and when the ferment gets slow so that is the critical time for temperature control.

Is it normal to have a thick goo at the bottom of the carboy? And what light conditions are best to ferment in dark or light or in between?

The thick goo at the bottom is normal. Yeast Cake ( it's trub ie. materials falling out of the beer during aging /fermentation). Dark with no light is the best condition for fermentation. Cover the carboy with an old T-Shirt.

Il post more pics as it goes on. My directions weren't very good how long do you think this should ferment for. The kit said leave it for 2 days after the air lock stops bubbling. Is that a good idea and how long will that take?

This is a quick one, 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks bottle. I wouldn't bother transferring to the secondary. That yeast like mid 60's, actual beer temp no higher than 72 (during active fermentation beer temp can be 5 or more degrees warmer than ambient). You may want to give it 3 weeks bottle conditioning, taste it at 2 and see. Who am I kidding, taste it at 1 week!! Everyone else does!!! Just remember the more you drink them green the less really good ones you will have!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back