My first batch of lager makes me feel cross eyed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildboy

Reaction score
The lager was fermenting for two weeks before being bottled and it is perfectly clear and recarbonating in the bottles as we speak. The lager has a mild taste much like any other mainstream brand. really pleased with the flavour. its probably closest to a bottle of bud but the strange thing is the feeling it imposes with just one small bottle.

The beer does not taste or smell particularly strong. infact it smells good but it imposes a heady feeling after just a couple of glugs. After just one bottle its too uncomfortable to look at a monitor screen and gives a cross eyed feeling with a pressure in the head.

rather than feeling drunk in the normal way the feeling is almost instantly hypnotic inducing a lethargicness one might feel after a night of drinking when the physical effects of alchohol have worn off. more bottles of this lager just compounds this head pressure feeling and everyone that tries it claims to feel the same way.

i dont think ive explained this very well because the obvious answer is probably that its just alchohol acting in the normal way. I was planning to use this batch of lager at a houseparty but after just half a small bottle of this lager we feel like its bedtime!

Sounds like you have some killer fusel alcohols in there. They tend to give me headaches and bad hangovers.

maybe the first documented case of e-coli poisoning via beer! Just kidding.
I wonder if it is possible to have ergotamine present in beer?

The lager was fermenting for two weeks before being bottled and it is perfectly clear and recarbonating in the bottles as we speak. The lager has a mild taste much like any other mainstream brand. really pleased with the flavour. its probably closest to a bottle of bud but the strange thing is the feeling it imposes with just one small bottle.

The beer does not taste or smell particularly strong. infact it smells good but it imposes a heady feeling after just a couple of glugs. After just one bottle its too uncomfortable to look at a monitor screen and gives a cross eyed feeling with a pressure in the head.

rather than feeling drunk in the normal way the feeling is almost instantly hypnotic inducing a lethargicness one might feel after a night of drinking when the physical effects of alchohol have worn off. more bottles of this lager just compounds this head pressure feeling and everyone that tries it claims to feel the same way.

i dont think ive explained this very well because the obvious answer is probably that its just alchohol acting in the normal way. I was planning to use this batch of lager at a houseparty but after just half a small bottle of this lager we feel like its bedtime!

What was your ferment temp?

You said "fermented for 2 weeks...did you "lager" i.e. cold condition the beer at all? I'm an ale guy, but isn't that normal for a lager to smooth out the "other" fermentation compounds?

If its too strong for you pack it up and send it to me ill 'dispose'' of it.

If you fermented at too high of a temperature, you may have got a bunch of fusel alcohols in there. What did the ABV turn out to be?

If you were going for Bud it sounds like you hit your mark because that is about the effect that it has on me, well that and a few nasty trips to the loo. :mug:

the temp ranged between about 17-20 degrees throughout fermentation.

Im unsure what the % is because i didnt take readings at the beginning.

it does not smell too much of alchohol so im not sure that its simply high strength because it acts faster than if i was to sip a glass of neat vodka.

i did however add an extra 20% of sugar to the mix. perhaps this is the reason.

Yeah, you really didn't make a lager if it was fermented at those temps. Lagers are done quite cold for extended periods. Add in 20% sugar, and you likely have a high octane fusel beer.

is this something i should be worried about? never heard of fusel alchohol before?

Back