My first All Grain, pic's and questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys so yesterday i made my first all grain

It was a wheat beer with

1.75 kg Pilsner malt

1.75kg Wheat malt

0.28kg Munich I malt

35gr Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops

Boiled the hops for 60mins

15refd1.jpg

30ruuer.jpg

qzrdr9.jpg

sv16o8.jpg

24qiipx.jpg

2cp22wi.jpg

14vqqt3.jpg

35cgy01.jpg

I added the chiller in when 10mins where remaining, but i noticed when i took it out it was a bit cleaner than before, (boiled for 10mins) is that something to be worried about ?

Also there seems to be alot of sediment, probably from the grains and hops, i didnt figure out to put somekind of filter on the autosyphon, i know that next time :p

The reason the beer cleared is from the cold break which is all the sediment dropping out of suspension which also explains why all the debris wound up at the bottom.

Getting all the sediment in the fermentor is not a big deal it will all settle out anyways but in the future you can rack the beer from above it to avoid it or, what I used to do is just pour the wort from the kettle through a large strainer to filter it out. This also helped aerate the wort as well!

Congrats on the first AG! Now watch those fermentation temps and you're on the way to great beer!

Your wort chiller will look shinier after boiling in the wort. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

The debris in your bucket is also normal. Getting it into your fermenter is not a big concern. Just rack from above it during your bottling process.

If the amount of beer is less than expected you can account for that in your recipe. If you typically lose a liter to the trub, adjust your recipe to account for that loss.

Cool setup!! I really like it.

It is usually recommended to boil you chiller one time before using it to make beer to get the stuff off it like corrosion and who knows what such as machine oil, other metal compounds, etc from the manufacturing process of the copper tubing. Too late for that I suppose and it definitley wont kill you lol.

Let us know how it comes out.

Back