My Finished Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafCutter

Reaction score
My homemade stir plate. Pretty pleased with the results. Didn't cost me 1 cent, so that makes it even better. Just thought I'd share...

Specs, for what its worth:
Phone Box, Old phone charger, Old PC fan, HDD magnet from same PC, hot glue gun replaced my need for any screws, washers, etc... I figured a bead of hot glue would space the fan enough from touching the top of the box. ( I was keen on having a flat clean surface.) And a free stir bar from a friend, yeah, I lucked out on that one.. I see some problems down the road with my box. It's not plastic so if it gets too wet I could have an issue. I need some type of coating.. maybe simple cling wrap would work? Anyway, hope you think it's cool too! Cheers

2013-01-18_16-40-40_832.jpg

Does the box crush/bow at all when the starter is on there? Go Canes

Actually it doesn't. A wide surface area helps distribute the weight perfectly. However a half gallon jug(about half the size on the bottom) and a 2liter starter might be a different story. I think im stuck using the gallon but whatever...

Does that jug have a flat bottom? If so, what stir bar are you using?

Yes its flat. Im using a 1 inch right now and its getting the job done. Nt sure what different sizes will do for me... i have a nice vortex with this one.

Back