My fermentation wont wind down??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbug440

Reaction score
ok heres the deal. Brewed an ipa 14 days ago pitched wyeast 1056. Fermentation took off in 6 hours. I ferment in a better bottle with a blow off tube. Had great active churning for 3 days after. After day 3 i get 1 bubble blowing out every 3 seconds and its been this way ever since. Usually after 2 weeks primary my beers start to clear,settle and fermentation winds down. But this beer still kinda looks like chocolate milk,there is still yeast churning and i still have 1/4" of foam on top. I havent taken a gravity reading yet because i planned on keeping it in primary for 3 weeks and dry hopping for another week. I dont like to open my fermenter too much for readings i just let it ride for 3 weeks then take a reading. My question is after 3 weeks and I still have this heavy activity should i take a reading or let it roll till it starts to clear and calm down more?? My post boil gravity was 1.058 and my fermentation temps have been between 60-68 degrees. Any thoughts??

I'd go ahead and take a reading, just to see where it stands. Give it a few days after that and take another reading to see if it's actually progressing. If the gravity remains the same, you're in good shape to hit it with the dry hops.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Just an update I took a gravity reading today (day 18 in primary) is at 1.014
I have a strong bubble gum smell from the sample and there is still a ton of yeast in suspension.
Im still getting a bubble in my blow off every 6 seconds and there is still a 1/4" of head on the beer(still pumping out lots of co2).
My questions now are should I rack to secondary on sunday which will be day 21 in primary?
or let it go another week before I secondary and dry hop?
also will this bubble gum smell go away? Not really sure what caused the smell but for what its worth the past couple of days the beer has been at 68- 70 degrees, and im using 5th generation wyeast 1056.
mutation? or normal?

Back