My efficiency jumped!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Question for you guys out there, it is probably one of those GOOD problems.

I made an Ale (AG) with the assumption of poor efficency. My problem is that I got 80% efficency with this batch.

My S.G. was @ 1.060 and F.G. @ 1.011 (6.4% Alc) Above the style guide lines.

Reciepe:

9lbs of 2-row
1lbs of Vienna
.5lbs of 80L (didn't have 60L)

1.5 oz of Crystal 3.7% (60 min)
.5 oz of Tettenanger 4.3% (20 min)
.25 oz of Tettenanger 4.3% (10 min)
.25 oz of Tettenanger 4.3% (5 min)

1 package of Notty

I did a hydro sample @ 11 days and although it tasted good, I am wondering if some of the flavor was the extra alcohol?

Did I have enough malt and hops for background to help mellow out the alcohol?

Now to the main question, would dry hopping help being that you do taste with your nose and the extra hop aroma would help mask (if any) alcoholic taste?

Again, maybe I should just RDWHAHB which I will do anyway. Like I said, it tasted good for being so young and I know time will heal all things. I was just courious.

Yep just don't worry about it. 6.4% isn't "that" high, and its not ready to drink yet. I know a ton of people taste their gravity readings but I hold off until I am about to bottle. It can make you get jumpy for no reason other then it not being done / green.

From what I understand, that's why Dubbels, and Trippels are aged for so long, so they can mellow the alcohol bite a bit more. Also the candi sugar is less "hot" anyway, but time will definitely mellow alcohol bite.

What efficiency were you planning on? What was the expected OG? What style were you shooting for?

I was planning on 65 - 70% effiency and shooting for a high side of a Pale Ale.

I was (if) using 1/2 oz of Crystal for the dry hopping since I brought 2 oz for the reciepe. Only needed 1 1/2oz.

I suppose the 10 and 5 min. addition will bring enough aroma to the beer.

Still debating on what to do.

If your IBUs were higher, I'd say just call it an IPA. However, you seem (according to BeerSmith) under hopped for a pale ale anyway. Since you have the extra hops, you might as well use them. Then just call it beer, and drink it. The extra point ABV you got wont affect the taste too much, I'd think.

I thought the low side of a Pale Ale was around 20 IBU's. According to the "Beer Recipator" I have around 26 IBU's.

Am I wrong?

I've got you coming in about 20 (using Rager) and BeerSmith says a Pale Ale (10A) should be 30-45 IBUs. Haven't used Beer Reciprocator.

I would trust BeerSmith over the Beer Recipicator myself so I am going to take your word, thanks.

I will add the remaining 1/2 oz of Crystal for dry hopping and call it "Just Beer"

I will say though, it does taste damn good, who knows maybe a new style....nah....just some good beer.

Thanks guys

Back