My Dying Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadway

Reaction score
My beautiful keezer is dying. The old Kenmore chest freezer circa 1990 is struggling to maintain a 38 degree temp and is basically running constantly. It whirs and whooshes and fights very hard to do its job. Sad.

I've got a brand new chest freezer waiting to take over, but she's a bit smaller so I'll be downsizing to 4 taps from 6. She's also just not as old and cool as my old freezer. My question is this: How much is it costing me to have the old, non-energy efficient freezer running constantly? I'd kind of like to keep her running until she just flat out dies, but I'm afraid of my energy bill. This has only been going on for a couple of weeks, so I haven't seen a bill yet. Anyone know what a constantly running 10 cubic foot old chest freezer will cost me over the course of a month?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418580154.897129.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418580214.985856.jpg

I got a tester that you plug into the wall, then plug anything Ito it and it tells you the energy use. Can't remember what it is called. My vending machine kegerator cost about a buck a day. Totally worth it!

A dollar a day is not a bad guess, depends quite a bit on your electrical rate and could be more as rates vary quite a bit, but that is likely ten fold what the replacement freezer will cost to run...get it done IMO....put a bullet in her fast and quick to end the suffering. Sorry for your loss.

Dismantled her last night. Will start building the new one this weekend. Sigh. Thanks for your 2 cents.

The answer is "Kill A Watt". I've had one for years, they can be very useful for the curious.

When my old 10cf keezer was on its death bed last winter it was also running constantly just to hold on to 40°F. It caused a ~$30 hole in the cash flow in one month - where that would have been more like 3-fitty when the ol' girl was in better health.

fwiw, the new 13cf that replaced it is a bit cheaper to run - comes in under $3 per month...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back