My dog is getting me in trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He should just keep the dog chained in the basement, what happens if the wench hops the fence and then makes it to the backyard. Hell I like to think I have the right to use my own bedroom, should give that up too.

I could go off on that one as well. You would assume that you could legally park in your own driveway. Well, you get a ticket here for that one. I'm getting totally dramatic on that, there's a lot more to it, but it's a different story for a different day. I did catch your sarcasm and I agree. As jgln said, it doesn't really make a good point, but I get what you're saying. If she stays on the sidewalk, and my dog stays in the yard, there's no reason why we all can't get along. My dog has lived here for over 6 years, she hasn't ever bitten anyone and I wouldn't expect her to unless the situation legitimately warranted it. But this puts her at risk, and by default, me as well. And if I give that up, then where does it end? I bought the property, it's in my name, not the city's. But I still have kind of a beef about the easement. I technically don't own it but I have to maintain it? And the sidewalk too? WTF? I'll take that one, but I won't give up my backyard.

stupid humans. Not you.. HER.

My dog has "been there, done that"

He's a nuissance barker. Insane, but harmless. 30 lb. 11 year old American Eskimo dog who thinks he's a 60 lb. Samoyed who can pwn anything in his domain (because his primary objective is to serve and protect..). He jumped up and tried to nip someone who was riding their bike through an off-leash dog section of a public park. I apologized for the misunderstanding (gosh, there are a lot of dogs here off leash, maybe riding your bike a few hundred yards thataway would be better because if it wasn't my dog that chased you it might have been a bigger, crazier one). They took my telephone number, gave them the name of my vet (verify rabies vaccination) and I never heard another word.

I keep him up to date on his shots. Maybe put up a "beware of dog" sign on the fence - just to protect yourself against the really stupid ones.

Even the most sweet, laid back dog has been known to bark his or her fool head off when a "stranger" comes near his/her yard. Especially with 2 nosy punk ass dogs in tow.

She violated the boundary. She's at fault. I also like the hose idea ;)

Well, I spent quite a bit of time outside yesterday afternoon hoping to see the woman and her dogs so I could talk to her about what happened. She never came by. I also talked to my neighbor about it as well and she told me that she would help me keep an eye out for her to make sure there aren't any more problems. I'm betting that this old woman will probably be choosing a different route to walk for a while. I guess we'll see. But if I ever do see her, I'm only going to ask her to keep moving and walk on the far side of the sidewalk. I don't really see that as asking her to put herself out of the way and I don't think it's an unreasonable request. But I'm not so sure I'll ever even get the chance.

Any which way, it won't happen this weekend as I'll be out of town. Thanks for everyones comments.

Ok. Stop with the front yard. I live on a corner lot and the "backyard" is the area between my house and garage on the side of my house. My front yard has no fence and on the opposite side of my house, I have a fence that abuts the neighbors privacy fence. So that makes a completely fenced in area for my dog to roam. The distance from my back deck (which stops at the corner of my house, it doesn't extend past it) to the public sidewalk is about 8 feet.

And what I meant by my dog being attacked was more along the lines of being cast in a bad light for doing what seems right to her. As others have stated, she is simply defending her territory. She knows that yard belongs to her "pack" and she will defend it as necessary.

Calm down, all I did was ask a series of questions and offer you a solution. I have no idea what you property looks like and without knowing that I tried to offer you a solution based on what I did know. You have now answered the question why that is not an option.

If I had a dog that barked at every passer by that had a dog I would have no problem confining my dog to my back yard if I had one. To me that would be the neighborly thing to do. You don't have that option and I have no more suggestions for you.

Get the camera like I posted earlier.

That is the BEST protection you can get for your best friend.

Right now your dealing with a ***** that can talk to the cop , court and lie threw her teeth. you best friend cant talk.

Next week you'll have some piece of **** kid throw rocks at you Best Friend then claim the dog bit her or him. Now what happens to you best friend.

Give your best friend the ability to be heard.

The vindictive side of me wants to go visit her lawn with a bag of fertilizer and write things into her lawn so it burns the grass.

Ahhh, the joys of annoying, nosy, bitter old ladies as neighbors. I have had cops come tell me to stop mowing my lawn at 6:10 because I am not allowed to operate "heavy machinery" past that time in my village, a village inspector that made me modify (and suggested I undertake a $2,000 storm drain project) because my sump overflow created a temporary puddle in MY back yard (I rectified it in a much cheaper way :D ), and of course the "Hop Trellis Incident". So far nothing really damaging and I have always tried to be nice to her regardless of this seemingly petty and totally unprovoked behavior.

My words of advice: Don't bother with retaliation because if they are so deranged, twisted, or self-centered to perform the behavior worthy of retaliation, they simply won't get it anyway. They're always the victim. They never did anything wrong. etc. You're the only one who is gonna lose anything by escalating.

Get the camera like I posted earlier.

That is the BEST protection you can get for your best friend.

Right now your dealing with a ***** that can talk to the cop , court and lie threw her teeth. you best friend cant talk.

Next week you'll have some piece of **** kid throw rocks at you Best Friend then claim the dog bit her or him. Now what happens to you best friend.

Give your best friend the ability to be heard.

That's my intention. Still looking for a single camera, simple setup. Hoping to find something that records to my computer so I don't have to have videotapes or a separate DVR.

My words of advice: Don't bother with retaliation because if they are so deranged, twisted, or self-centered to perform the behavior worthy of retaliation, they simply won't get it anyway. They're always the victim. They never did anything wrong. etc. You're the only one who is gonna lose anything by escalating.

Yeah. I ruled out retaliation a while ago. It didn't take me long to realize that I'm on the losing end of a battle if I fight by her rules. For now, I'm going with the protection route. I won't apologize to her, but I will ask politely that she just keep walking. I figure that will be politically correct enough to satisfy the police. And still looking for a video camera that I can afford. That will protect myself in a lot of ways. Maybe I can even get an insurance discount for it.

I have a wireless camera setup thats extremely easy.

It has a decent range, but not too terribly long, so you'd want the reciever as close as possible. I had the camera on the front porch and the reciever in the kitchen at the back of the house, through multiple walls, and it worked fine. I believe it's weather-proof too, but I'd have to check.

The reciever plugs into the yellow video jack on your TV and you can record it however you want. I had mine plugged into a 9" TV/VCR combo and recorded onto VHS tapes. Just had 2 tapes per day, AM/PM and rotated them. If you have a newer technology for recording (DVD) it would be easier, but for me the VHS tapes worked.

Oh it also has infra sensors on it so it works in pitch black, not that the lady would be walking at night.. but it's there.

PM me if yer interested.

That's my intention. Still looking for a single camera, simple setup. Hoping to find something that records to my computer so I don't have to have videotapes or a separate DVR.

Yeah. I ruled out retaliation a while ago. It didn't take me long to realize that I'm on the losing end of a battle if I fight by her rules. For now, I'm going with the protection route. I won't apologize to her, but I will ask politely that she just keep walking. I figure that will be politically correct enough to satisfy the police. And still looking for a video camera that I can afford. That will protect myself in a lot of ways. Maybe I can even get an insurance discount for it.
Well, retaliation would be wrong but next time you see her walking her dogs. You should reach down and nick your shin. Than rub some bacon all over it. Now go up and apologize to her her about any misunderstanding. The minute her yappers make it near your leg reach down and grab your shin and yell ouch convincingly. File a report. You've now reach a M.A.D. scenario.

Latest posts

Back