My dog is getting me in trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not really, but it kind of revolves around her. I'm looking for some reasonable suggestions.

Last night at about dusk I was across the street talking to my neighbor when I noticed a woman walking her two dogs. Not really sure what breed, but something along the lines of Jack Russell Terriers. As she passed my fence, my dog started barking at her. So she stopped. My dog kept barking, so she actually stepped closer to my fence. The whole time, I'm watching this from across the street thinking, "What the hell is she doing?" Then I saw her dog jump up, which drove my dog crazy. Next thing you know, I hear a lot of agressive barking from all three dogs and a little bit of yelping as the woman is freaking out on the sidewalk. At that point, I started yelling at the woman to get away from my fence and my dog. And obviously, we ended up in an argument on the street. After about a minute or so, she moved on and I saw her on the phone apparently calling the police.

So I got a visit from an officer last night. He asked a few questions about what had happened, and she claims that her dog got bit by my dog. As far as I know, its a load of crap because the officer said there was no visible damage to her dog, but I wasn't in a position to say for certain if there was even any contact between them. We talked about different solutions to the idea of liability such as building the fence taller (which would require a code variance), moving the fence back by a couple of feet (which would be very expensive), or getting an underground electric fence (which I just don't like the idea of). And after our discussion, I feel like I'm completely on the losing side of anything that comes my way. Obviously, she has more rights than my dog does.

I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable about this. I mean, who steps closer to a 65 pound dog that's barking at her? I generally stay away from animals that appear to be p!ssed at me. I'd like to think that any intelligent person would, but maybe I expect too much out of humanity.

So what would you do? A thought that I had was to catch her as she is walking her dogs, introduce myself and ask her to just keep moving as she passes my fence. Politely. Then if there are any more problems, maybe suggest a harrassment issue or even a restraining order. Just to protect my family and my dog.

And just as a background, my neighbor told me that this woman had once kicked at her dog because it was following her (on its own property) as she was passing by. I sincerely think she's just a bitter, old, self righteous cranky woman.

Suggestions, please?

I sincerely think she's just a bitter, old, self righteous cranky woman.

Yep, that sounds about right.

My two dogs, a 65# shepherd/terrier, and a 110# rotty mix have had the cops called on them before. The big guy isn't too fond of kids, and will try to avoid them. We were at the dog park one time, and a woman with four little brats (well, three, one was in the stroller) was walking in the other direction. The big guy went off to the side to avoid the kids, but one ran right up to him making growling noises. He barked at the kid, I told him to stop and keep moving. He did what he was told, but the mother started screaming at me that I should have my "vicious" dog on a leash. I told her that she should do the same with her kids.

As I was leaving the dog park, I noticed the animal control officer in the parking lot. Thinking that she was there for me, I let the dogs get into the truck before going to talk to her. I asked if she was there for my dogs, and she said "No, I'm looking out for a vicious dog."

Next time the woman is walking by, tell her to get away from your fence or you'll call the cops for trespassing. Tell her to stay the hell off your property and to keep her aggressive dog off your grass.

I think a sprinkler that is positioned to wet the old bat might do the trick.

Next time the woman is walking by, tell her to get away from your fence or you'll call the cops for trespassing. Tell her to stay the hell off your property and to keep her aggressive dog off your grass.

Unfortunately, I can't. My fence goes right up to the sidewalk, which is public domain and she has every right to be there. The officer even explained that if my dog happened to be putting her paws on the fence (which she can and does frequently) and the woman reached over to smack my dog and my dog bit her in retaliation, then the fact that both of them crossed the property line cancel each other out. Then the best she would get is a citation for animal abuse, while my dog would probably get put down. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

I considered setting up a video camera system on a recording loop, just for liability reasons. Don't know how expensive or how difficult that would be. Probably overkill. I kind of feel like I'm getting the short end because I don't see the need to go to what I think is unreasonable measures for conflict resolution.

I think a sprinkler that is positioned to wet the old bat might do the trick.

I actually thought about that. I learned through a different incident that you cannot lay a garden hose across a sidewalk to water the lawn between the sidewalk and the street, lest a bicyclist were to attempt to traverse said hose and fall upon the sidewalk. Even though the bike is on the sidewalk illegally. But that's a different story...

But if I were to get a sprinkler on a stand that stood higher than my fence, the hose could be in my yard while watering the grass next to the street. My dog stays away from the sprinkler when its on so she would also stay away from the fence. But because the woman already has the report of the incident filed on me, she may be able to spin that as retaliatory efforts. I'm not so sure that would work in my favor.

The vindictive side of me wants to go visit her lawn with a bag of fertilizer and write things into her lawn so it burns the grass. But that will only get me into more trouble. Another thought I had was to just walk behind her when I see her pass and hope her dogs snap at me. I have just as much right to be on the sidewalk as her, but she might be able to get me on harrassment or intimidation of some sort.

If your fence is right against the sidewalk, and your dog is threatening passerbys, maybe you do have a problem. Kids use sidewalks, too. Even if the dog can't get through or over the fence, it can be frightening to have an animal bigger than you raging a foot away.

I would advise you first get a hold of your insurance agent and purchase an umbrella policy or similar in case she does something stupid and tries to sue you. I used to own a place with an in ground pool. We had a fence up that was twice as high as required by law and even had a second fence up on the side that backed up to the "bad" neighborhood. We threw up no trespassing signs and motion sensors hooked to audible alarms and lights. Locks on the gates, etc. Even so, at least once a week we would come home to find some kids swimming in the pool.

We talked to the neighborhood officer and the city attorney and determined that despite the extraordinary measures we took, we could be sued if something happened. Hell, anyone can be sued for any reason in this country, but in this case a sympathetic jury/judge may have even found in their favor.

So for about $150/year we took out a policy for $2 million. It protected us and guaranteed the insurance company would provide some legal help if we did get sued. Plus the insurance company sent a guy out that made a few more suggestions for us.

Beyond that, consider the electric/invisible fence. You can get one at Menards for about $100 and it doesn't have to go around the whole yard. You can set up a loop that just keeps him 6 feet from that fence. With my dogs, it took about a week of training and I haven't had to put the collars on them since. Heck, I don't even know where the collars are and they never cross the boundary.

If not that, set up a second, temporary fence a few feet back from the existing one. Once winter sets in and/or she moves on to a new victim, you can take it down.

If your fence is right against the sidewalk, and your dog is threatening passerbys, maybe you do have a problem. Kids use sidewalks, too. Even if the dog can't get through or over the fence, it can be frightening to have an animal bigger than you raging a foot away.

Agree here. Why is the fence right on the side walk anyway. I know in my town a fence has to be 3ft off the property line. And it sounds like a chain link fence, just move it back a few feet. Chain link is easy.

Beyond that, consider the electric/invisible fence. You can get one at Menards for about $100 and it doesn't have to go around the whole yard. You can set up a loop that just keeps him 6 feet from that fence. With my dogs, it took about a week of training and I haven't had to put the collars on them since.

I agree with this, my dog used to climb the 5 ft chain link fence and get out, after two weeks of the invisible fence I had no more problems.

I am a dog lover, but (however unfortunate it may be) when it come to dog vs. human, the human is in the right every time.

I see where you're coming from. I like the idea about the insurance. I'll go talk to my agent this afternoon to get more information on what he may be able to do for me.

As for my dog being threatening, she's not. She barks at everything that moves, as a lot of dogs do. My fence isn't a chain link, it's wooden with 6 inch wide dog-ear boards, posts set every 5 feet. The thought I had about moving it back a couple of feet, even if the incident were to repeat itself, I would be in the same circumstances, only that I could now get her for trespassing. My dog would still be put down if she bit anyone. And the electric fence, if this woman were to antagonize my dog enough, I'm afraid she would ignore the shock and go up to the fence anyway, which still puts me at a disadvantage.

I don't know, I guess I'm just PO'd that I like to think that I do the right and fair thing, and I still get screwed over it. It seems this thing is happening more and more in America.

I'll probably end up moving the fence back about a foot and a half. Hopefully it won't cost me any more than about $150. Less money for beer, I suppose.

Not really, but it kind of revolves around her. I'm looking for some reasonable suggestions.

Last night at about dusk I was across the street talking to my neighbor when I noticed a woman walking her two dogs. Not really sure what breed, but something along the lines of Jack Russell Terriers. As she passed my fence, my dog started barking at her. So she stopped. My dog kept barking, so she actually stepped closer to my fence. The whole time, I'm watching this from across the street thinking, "What the hell is she doing?" Then I saw her dog jump up, which drove my dog crazy. Next thing you know, I hear a lot of agressive barking from all three dogs and a little bit of yelping as the woman is freaking out on the sidewalk. At that point, I started yelling at the woman to get away from my fence and my dog. And obviously, we ended up in an argument on the street. After about a minute or so, she moved on and I saw her on the phone apparently calling the police.

So I got a visit from an officer last night. He asked a few questions about what had happened, and she claims that her dog got bit by my dog. As far as I know, its a load of crap because the officer said there was no visible damage to her dog, but I wasn't in a position to say for certain if there was even any contact between them. We talked about different solutions to the idea of liability such as building the fence taller (which would require a code variance), moving the fence back by a couple of feet (which would be very expensive), or getting an underground electric fence (which I just don't like the idea of). And after our discussion, I feel like I'm completely on the losing side of anything that comes my way. Obviously, she has more rights than my dog does.

I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable about this. I mean, who steps closer to a 65 pound dog that's barking at her? I generally stay away from animals that appear to be p!ssed at me. I'd like to think that any intelligent person would, but maybe I expect too much out of humanity.

So what would you do? A thought that I had was to catch her as she is walking her dogs, introduce myself and ask her to just keep moving as she passes my fence. Politely. Then if there are any more problems, maybe suggest a harrassment issue or even a restraining order. Just to protect my family and my dog.

And just as a background, my neighbor told me that this woman had once kicked at her dog because it was following her (on its own property) as she was passing by. I sincerely think she's just a bitter, old, self righteous cranky woman.

Suggestions, please?

65# dog, police called, crazy unknowledgible neighbor. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your dog is a pitbull. Luckily, literally all of my neighbors love mine. But new visitors are always very wary... until she licks them to death.

The only time I have been worried was when a Comcast jackass hopped our locked fence to get to the cable box in the back. Mind you, I don't have comcast and despite having the area cable box in the back yard, they don't service my street (so why is the cable box...). Add to that fact I had called comcast previously to let them know I have two large dogs who always have access to the backyard. If they need to get back there for any reason, set up an appointment and I'll be happy to take them to day care for the day.

Of course Comcast didn't listen and I came home t find a chewed up comcast hat in our living room (Mac only chews things while lying on the rug) and a portion of a ripped shirt in the backyard. Good doggie!!!

I got a call the next day from comcast saying they had tried to get in the backyard, but they found the gate was locked. They left out the part about breaking into my backyard and getting scared away by my security system. I was a bit nervous, though, because while I honestly don't believe Mac would hurt anybody (my other dog, an 80# boxer has a psycho scary bark, but he's afraid of peole and will run away from strangers so I wasn't worried about him), I know if she grabbed his shirt, she could have grabbed part of him too.

It ended up OK, but in this sue-happy country, I'm always a bit worried.

65# dog, police called, crazy unknowledgible neighbor. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your dog is a pitbull.

That would be incorrect. She is an Australian Shepherd mix. Not sure what the mix is, I got her from the humane society when she was BARELY old enough to go home with us. She is intensely curious about everything and still extremely playful at six and a half years old. I love her to death and would hate to think that she could get put down because of an idiot's inability to properly address a strange dog.

Well, that's not the first time I've been wrong today! I feel your pain. My dogs were both rescues and I love them to death. They're part of my family and to see them threatened or put in a bad spot by anybody makes my blood boil. As somebody who has a "target dog" as part of my family, I am very aware that dog ownership has far more to do with keeping stupid people away from my dog and less about keeping my dog away from people.

People forget (or don't think about the fact) that dogs are very territorial animals. If they're barking at you when close to "their" home, it's just their way of saying, "I see you and I'm letting you know this here yard is mine."

People who ignore this fact and proceed don have any right to be outraged, IMO. When I'm president, that will change!

Seriously, good luck with your situation. Feel free to vent any time!

Move to a state where you're free to shoot people and dogs without provocation.

That's what I did.

If you have a fence, and it properly restrained your dog, then she provoked an encounter, and there is no biting in her dog, I'd say you already won. The rest is just semantics. Put up dog signs. Problem solved, disaster averted!

Get a home security camera pointed pointed at you fence. Then when the ***** comes and harasses your dog & calls the police Then you will have the proof that she is making false accuations she goes to jail her dogs go to the pound and you get to sue the ***** for slander.

Follow her home, let her know your following her home, walk right up to her gate, stand there, let her know you know where she lives, hang around 20 more minutes, walk home.

Suggestions, please?

Training.

A solid recall so that the dog comes when called would have helped defuse the situation. Imagine how it would have played out if you called your dog, she came to you and you calmly put her in a stay. You would then be free to give the old bat a piece of your mind without fear of any unjust retribution. Granted that’s a challenging recall scenario with lots o’ distraction, but it can be done. With some Aussie in her, she may respond well to training.

I’m not laying blame with you or your dog, nor am I saying your dog did anything wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot of crazy people in this world. Training allows you to protect yourself and your dog by reliably extracting her from the situation.

She was probably walking her dog and thought "Oh that dog thinks he's tough? Well I have 2 dogs, I'll bring them over and show it who's boss." Then she ate her words.

Can you just put a "Beware of Dog" sign up? I don't know if the cops/law/whatever would accept it but at least it's something. I agree with the camera idea as well. At least it would show if somebody was harassing the dog if it happens again.

This woman walks her dogs past my house at least a couple times a day and has done so for at least a few years, so I know that she knows my dog is there. I do have Beware Of Dog signs at either end of my fence. So with that in mind, that's just more of a precautionary measurement than anything, it still wouldn't absolve me of anything if she were to bite or hurt anyone. It's pretty dumb, but that's the way it goes.

I don't think following her home would be a good idea. That may lead into stalking/harrassing/intimidation issues. Even if she couldn't press charges directly to that cause, it wouldn't look good in other arenas if push came to shove.

As for training, I can't say she's great about it, but she mostly comes to me when I call her. On occasion, she'll get stubborn but that's usually when she's investigating something with her nose to the ground, but she'll come to me within about 15 seconds or so. Either way, it wouldn't have helped much as I was across the street talking to my neighbor. But I see the validity in your point, and I will continue to work with my dog to make that even better.

I like the security camera for several other reasons. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. Can someone maybe point me to a good reference for just a single camera that I can maybe use my home computer to record to? Just a quick look around brought up entire systems (the smallest of which was a 4 channel setup with cameras and DVR for around $500) or just single cameras without any real info on how to use it. At least not to my uneducated knowledge. Hoping for something that's easy to set up, maybe I could do it on my own. Would you think that maybe a wildlife video camera might work? They only really turn on when there's movement. Or would I run out of recording space too quickly being in a city with plenty of foot traffic past my house?

Thanks for all the input and understanding so far. I didn't sleep well last night over this and its rather unusual for me to carry over such hostility and frustration after sleeping. If this is how I feel when my dog is "attacked" then I hate to think of how I would feel if it were one of my kids.

Why is the dog in the front yard? Don't you have a back yard? If so is your front and back yard one big fenced in area? What I am getting at is if you have a back yard why not just confine your dog to the back yard? I know you feel like you have the right to use your front yard as you choose but it would solve the problem.

You could keep the fence by the sidewalk and build a second fence a few feet inside your property. Then you put razor wire on the outside fence, electrify it and plant mines in the no-man's land in between. Maybe a machine gun tower at each corner for a nice finishing touch. :D

Training.

A solid recall so that the dog comes when called would have helped defuse the situation. Imagine how it would have played out if you called your dog, she came to you and you calmly put her in a stay. You would then be free to give the old bat a piece of your mind without fear of any unjust retribution. Granted that’s a challenging recall scenario with lots o’ distraction, but it can be done. With some Aussie in her, she may respond well to training.

I’m not laying blame with you or your dog, nor am I saying your dog did anything wrong. Unfortunately there are a lot of crazy people in this world. Training allows you to protect yourself and your dog by reliably extracting her from the situation.

+1 million
Totally agree. Dogs are animals. We are their masters. I love my dog and he loves me back. I know this because he listens and obeys. He is rewarded postively for his good behaviors. Like the post above, I am not laying blame on your dog either, but there is nothing worse than an unrulley dog (well maybe an unrulley child). A dogs behavior is a direct reflection of their owners training.

Well, it seems the lady simply forgot to take her stupid pills that morning.

Seriously, walking up to a fence with a barking dog behind it is just idiotic. And I am one person who thinks that if she crosses your fence and gets bit. Then too bad for her. Sorry for your loss (of fingers) lady!

Gadamm! is this what we call normal in the US now??

Am I the only one left in the world who would have just hurried my little dogs down the sidewalk? 9probably dragging them by the neck because you KNOW those little bastards think they are the baddest thing on 4 legs!)

I know you feel like you have the right to use your front yard as you choose but it would solve the problem.

He should just keep the dog chained in the basement, what happens if the wench hops the fence and then makes it to the backyard. Hell I like to think I have the right to use my own bedroom, should give that up too.

He should just keep the dog chained in the basement, what happens if the wench hops the fence and then makes it to the backyard. Hell I like to think I have the right to use my own bedroom, should give that up too.

What??? :confused:

His front yard fence buts up to public property and his dog does not sound well behaved enough to let it that close to the public passing by. One of the solutions he and the cop discussed was to put a fence in front of the other fence which is ridiculous. I was just offering a possible solution to his problem and apparently it IS HIS PROBLEM not the passer by. The lady may have caused the problem to escalate but she was still on public property which his dog invaded from what he describes and she reported. It sounds if neither she nor her dogs were trespassing. Not like she was beating his dog with a stick or something, she was just walking her dog on the public sidewalk. Sure, the decent thing would be to walk around but to suggest his dog has a right to attack other people's dogs that pass by on the sidewalk is crazy.

What are you talking about the lady hopping the fence? That is crazy talk. And the bathroom? Really??
You are taking my suggestion way too far.

This woman walks her dogs past my house at least a couple times a day and has done so for at least a few years, so I know that she knows my dog is there. I do have Beware Of Dog signs at either end of my fence. So with that in mind, that's just more of a precautionary measurement than anything, it still wouldn't absolve me of anything if she were to bite or hurt anyone. It's pretty dumb, but that's the way it goes.

I don't think following her home would be a good idea. That may lead into stalking/harrassing/intimidation issues. Even if she couldn't press charges directly to that cause, it wouldn't look good in other arenas if push came to shove.

As for training, I can't say she's great about it, but she mostly comes to me when I call her. On occasion, she'll get stubborn but that's usually when she's investigating something with her nose to the ground, but she'll come to me within about 15 seconds or so. Either way, it wouldn't have helped much as I was across the street talking to my neighbor. But I see the validity in your point, and I will continue to work with my dog to make that even better.

I like the security camera for several other reasons. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them. Can someone maybe point me to a good reference for just a single camera that I can maybe use my home computer to record to? Just a quick look around brought up entire systems (the smallest of which was a 4 channel setup with cameras and DVR for around $500) or just single cameras without any real info on how to use it. At least not to my uneducated knowledge. Hoping for something that's easy to set up, maybe I could do it on my own. Would you think that maybe a wildlife video camera might work? They only really turn on when there's movement. Or would I run out of recording space too quickly being in a city with plenty of foot traffic past my house?

Thanks for all the input and understanding so far. I didn't sleep well last night over this and its rather unusual for me to carry over such hostility and frustration after sleeping. If this is how I feel when my dog is "attacked" then I hate to think of how I would feel if it were one of my kids.

I gave you my suggestion of fencing your dog in the back yard if you have one based on what you first said here:

As she passed my fence, my dog started barking at her.

Now you say your dog was attacked? I don't recall you saying her dogs jumped your fence from the sidewalk. I am not defending her for instigating the situation but I want to get the story straight.

Well, it seems the lady simply forgot to take her stupid pills that morning.

Seriously, walking up to a fence with a barking dog behind it is just idiotic. And I am one person who thinks that if she crosses your fence and gets bit. Then too bad for her. Sorry for your loss (of fingers) lady!

Gadamm! is this what we call normal in the US now??

Am I the only one left in the world who would have just hurried my little dogs down the sidewalk? 9probably dragging them by the neck because you KNOW those little bastards think they are the baddest thing on 4 legs!)

True I agree that would be the smart thing to do but he did say this:

I sincerely think she's just a bitter, old, self righteous cranky woman

I know those dogs are small but there were two probably excited dogs and I have a dog (lab/chow mix, but on the small side) so I know how strong they can be especially when excited. I am a 5' 10" 210lb male pretty strong and man that dog can pull. I am sure those dogs could give an old lady a run for her money if she is indeed an old lady. Yes, we could argue if she can't control her dogs she should not have them.

I was not there so I am only going by what he stated and need to consider everything.

Why is the dog in the front yard? Don't you have a back yard? If so is your front and back yard one big fenced in area? What I am getting at is if you have a back yard why not just confine your dog to the back yard? I know you feel like you have the right to use your front yard as you choose but it would solve the problem.

Ok. Stop with the front yard. I live on a corner lot and the "backyard" is the area between my house and garage on the side of my house. My front yard has no fence and on the opposite side of my house, I have a fence that abuts the neighbors privacy fence. So that makes a completely fenced in area for my dog to roam. The distance from my back deck (which stops at the corner of my house, it doesn't extend past it) to the public sidewalk is about 8 feet.

And what I meant by my dog being attacked was more along the lines of being cast in a bad light for doing what seems right to her. As others have stated, she is simply defending her territory. She knows that yard belongs to her "pack" and she will defend it as necessary.

Back