My DIY immersion chiller touches inner wall of kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antifreze

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am getting all my equipment in order for my first solo brew. I have a 20 gallon pot (going to start with 5gallon extract and move into 10/15gallon BIAB) and I bought 50ft of copper to make an immersion chiller. I didn't happen to have my pot when I bent my copper so I just used measurements online and I guess I had a miscalculation because my immersion chiller fits a bit snuggly in my pot. It's still free standing, but there isn't much space at all between the copper tub and the interior pot wall.

Question is: Is this worth correcting or should this be fine? If I need to correct it, can I just put a smaller bucket in the middle and wind it around or do I need to attempt to straighten it out again and start over?

:confused:

It will be fine. If It's right up against the pot, I'd think about winding it tighter when you have time as the circulation of the wort around it may not be very good. I've just used a keg when I made made mine.

It won't matter. As long as the whole coil is immersed in the fluid, it will chill the same. For best results, either stir constantly while chilling, or use a pump to recirculate and create a whirlpool effect.

Latest posts

Back