My Coca Cola cooler kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie22

Reaction score
I started this in another section. Thought it would be better here.

I have had this old coca cola cooler sitting in my garage for a few months. I inherited it after my grandpa passed away. Originally I thought I would somewhat restore it and use it as a cooler on the patio. But it is so big I think it would be overkill. After some more thought, research and measurement, I decided to make it into a kegerator. Naturally a build thread should accompany this project. This by no means is going to be a quick build with a 4 year old and a 5 month old in the house along with the normal honey dos. I will work on it when I can and update the thread accordingly.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375237.407747.jpg

What I am starting with.

My plan is clean it up a little and put a clear coat on it to inhibit anymore rust. Then, use some 2" insulated panels that I have to build a box and lid on the inside taking up about 2/3 of the cooler. The other 1/3 will hold the CO2 tank and will be space for the compressor and the heat exchange coils off of a mini fridge that I plan to cool it with. Something like this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-kegerator-build-frankin-mini-fridge-263926/

I don't know what I want to use for a top or the tap tower yet. Still brainstorming.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375303.675060.jpg

Got the tub out.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375338.709584.jpg

Scraping crap off of the inside

Got to work on it a little more today.

I had a toilet partition door that I was going to use for a cutting board but I decided to use it as a bottom. I cut it to size and screwed it down.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375552.533841.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375579.414083.jpg

Bottom view
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375600.658228.jpg

I sprayed the bottom with some great stuff for more insulation.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375692.654407.jpg

And I cut some pallet wood to cover the gap on the front side.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375758.977172.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452375778.118055.jpg

Upside down because the great stuff is still curing.

I don't know if I should stain the wood or leave it natural so it gives it the old crate look. I am usually a fan of stained wood but this instance may be different. The top will be the same wood with a tap tower made of either black iron or copper.

What a fun project, If it were me I would have a hard time deciding how much to clean up the look and I would not stain the wood, maybe a touch of mineral oil. I can wait to see how it turns out.

Got a little more done today. Was able to cut a panel for the "fridge" part.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452479766.970652.jpg

Made some brackets and screwed the four sides together.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452479872.122415.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452479893.734405.jpg

And sealed the corners and brackets
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452479952.962812.jpg
Not pretty but should do the trick.

Next step is to find an older mini fridge to part out and find something for the top. Don't think I will be able to use the pallet wood I originally planned. I went through the pieces last night and they are all pretty twisted. They would lose their character if I put them through the planer. I am thinking maybe some slate. The project I am working on at work is a remodel of a pretty old school. Might be able to get a piece from there.

I had a toilet partition door that I was going to use for a cutting board but I decided to use it as a bottom. I cut it to size and screwed it down.

Yeah, That's probably a better plan. Not sure that's food grade for a cutting board. Normally, I'd say "and you don't know where that's been", but you know where that's been, which makes it worse.

ON TOPIC:
I like the look of it. I was looking around yesterday for veneers and found copper patina veneers. Something like that might work really well for your top if you were to apply that to another appropriately sized piece of that partition (if you have some left) and then finish it off with a copper tower.

I would poly-urethane, satin finish, the wood and the wood top....heck, I would poly over the whole Coke box...I like the old look. I think if you re-paint the red and white, you'll lose a lot of character. If old and funky was good enough for GrandPa, it oughta be good enough for you!

Cool build...really cool.

Yeah, That's probably a better plan. Not sure that's food grade for a cutting board. Normally, I'd say "and you don't know where that's been", but you know where that's been, which makes it worse.

ON TOPIC:
I like the look of it. I was looking around yesterday for veneers and found copper patina veneers. Something like that might work really well for your top if you were to apply that to another appropriately sized piece of that partition (if you have some left) and then finish it off with a copper tower.

Ha ha. Yeah. I should've specified it was a wrong sized door for a NEW bathroom. Not a used one. I do like the look of a couple of the veneers. Thanks.

Got started on tearing the fridge apart tonight. I went pretty slow to make sure I didn't do any damage to the lines. I had an idea where they were but wasn't positive. When I located the lines, I realized they were taped to the skin. So, I took a putty knife and peeled the lines away from the skin as I peeled the skin from the foam insulation.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456374036.261938.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456374211.515736.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456374403.411870.jpg

The aftermath

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456374459.707729.jpg

Got the metal metal of of the back and bottom. Then I picked up a cheap tubing bender from Harbor Freight and bent the lines so the whole thing would fit in the space available. And bent the coolant line to bend into the "fridge."

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456717174.449495.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456717475.051628.jpg

I cut a notch in the wall and place the compressor in place.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456717546.603588.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456717613.253419.jpg

Also attached the thermostat

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456717700.145768.jpg

Next I glued the top trim pieces on and and adhered some marine grade weatherstripping to them

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456717968.849567.jpg

I temporarily put a lid on the "fridge" to see how cold I could get it. The Lo on the thermometer means below 32* F.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456718370.532128.jpg

Next I went to Menards and picked up the pieces for the tap tower. I took this idea from the many examples on the Internet.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456718134.282992.jpg

It's getting so close that I couldn't resist doing a "mock up"

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456718228.380706.jpg

Cheers [emoji482]

Thanks everyone. I will post more pics once I get the other tap installed. (Should be Thursday) And when I figure out the drip tray. I may build my own. Don't know if I want a stainless one.

Any issues with it foaming since theres not really any insulation in the tower? Not sure how could fix that other than filling the inside up with great stuff, and trying to ensure the hoses stay centered and not crush?

Love this though

Any issues with it foaming since theres not really any insulation in the tower? Not sure how could fix that other than filling the inside up with great stuff, and trying to ensure the hoses stay centered and not crush?

Love this though

Might be able to squeeze some foam rubber insulation in there. Or some closed-cell flat foam rolled up

Hey man, love this build. Question for you. I built a similar tap tower on my kegerator, but with one tap. What length pipe nipple did you use? I only ask because mine is a tiny bit shorter than I would like. I can't remember if I used the 6" or 8". My glass fits under it fine. But it will be tight when I get around to installing my drip tray. I'd like to put a longer (taller) pipe nipple in and yours looks like what I want. Thanks!

Love this though

It does foam a little right away but not too bad. I plan on doing something with it though. I don't think I want to spray it with great stuff, even though it would work. I think that would be a pain if I need to change tubing. I think some kind of foam would work. This is one of the loose ends I need to finish up. Along with adding a temp controller and fan. Having a hard time keeping the temp right with the factory thermostat.

Hey man, love this build. Question for you. I built a similar tap tower on my kegerator, but with one tap. What length pipe nipple did you use? I only ask because mine is a tiny bit shorter than I would like. I can't remember if I used the 6" or 8". My glass fits under it fine. But it will be tight when I get around to installing my drip tray. I'd like to put a longer (taller) pipe nipple in and yours looks like what I want. Thanks!

It is a 12" nipple. Works great for growlers too.

It does foam a little right away but not too bad. I plan on doing something with it though. I don't think I want to spray it with great stuff, even though it would work. I think that would be a pain if I need to change tubing. I think some kind of foam would work. This is one of the loose ends I need to finish up. Along with adding a temp controller and fan. Having a hard time keeping the temp right with the factory thermostat.

What about finding a donor bean bag and filling tower with beans? Or a super custom modified pool noodle zip tied in place?

Don't a lot of guys mount a small computer fan to blow cold air up the tower?

Great build....that it was your Grandfather's old chest adds a double cool factor in my book.

What about finding a donor bean bag and filling tower with beans? Or a super custom modified pool noodle zip tied in place?

Don't a lot of guys mount a small computer fan to blow cold air up the tower?

Great build....that it was your Grandfather's old chest adds a double cool factor in my book.
I built a PC fan enclosure for mine. But haven't even put it in yet because honestly I haven't had any issues.

Latest posts

Back