my cfc is stopping me from brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I have one of those Phil's Couter Flow Chillers but it has seen better days. The hose connections are loose and leak, plus the tie-downs are broken so it seperates from the copper. I hate cleaning out the damn thing and I'm always afraid of what I may have left inside of it for my next batch. It's all around a PITA to use.

I doubt there is enough copper tube to convert it to an immersion chiller (which I would prefer). I guess I could try Cheyco's CFC with the parts I currently have and then go to Lowes and get the rest. So, do I fix it or start over?

When I first started doing all grain, I purchased a CFC. However, I plan on going back to an immersion chiller for a couple reasons.
First, I can better control the temp of my wort by leaving it in my kettle longer and by using an ice bath. Second, immersion chillers seem easier to clean and keep clean. Finally, I don't have to worry about wort being stuck in the chiller and not getting into my fermenter.
However, what is most important is which one you prefer and are more comfortable with. From what you wrote, sounds like you don't really like the CFC.

Are you pumping or gravity? If you don't care for a CFC it would only take an hour to build a nice IM chiller and less than $100 w/ all the fittings. If you have a pump build you a whirlpool attachment for it and you are grand.

Todd! How you been?!

Dunno, man. Just started using a CFC myself, one that I bought from Dude back a couple summers ago. Do you pump? I cleaned it out by pumping PBW through it for twenty or thirty minutes, and I pumped Star-San through it for probably fifteen minutes before hooking it up (overkill, I know). I just cleaned out my mash tun during the boil, put my Star-San in there, and circulated through though the CFC and back.

Without a pump, I probably would have stuck with the IC. I don't know how people know the insides of the CFC are clean unless you can circulate cleaner/sanitizer through there for an extended period. I'd probably just bite the bullet and buy some new copper, start fresh. Doing five gallon batches?

I just bought a CFC myself, and have never used it. I was happy with my IC, but with the new electric element, the IC just doesn't fit.

When I get back from vacation in March, I'll do the inaugural brew with the CFC. I hope it works well, since I don't seem to have any other options. A plate chiller is totally out of my budget.

I feel more comfortable with a CFC being clean than a plate chiller, too. Unless a CFC's made poorly, there aren't as many cracks and crevices for nasties to hide out; should be easy the clean/sanitize an un-kinked length of tubing. Plate chillers, by their very design seem to be harder to get into all of the crevices.

(not that I wouldn't USE a plate chiller if I could find one for $20, like my CFC!)

Just throwing my two cents in. I go back and forth between an IC and a CFC...it depends on the beer and wether or not I opted to use the keggle or not. If I want to make a really hoppy beer, I typically steep hops after flame-out for about 1/2 hour. because of this, I want to keep my oils from steaming off, so I opt for the CFC. To clean it, I typically just shoot high pressure through the copper tubing for a few minutes and make sure it's adequately drained. On brew days, after I fill my carboy with sanitized water I transfer it to a bucket by way of the CFC. The 10-15 minutes of sanitized water flowing through the tubing during this transfer does the trick. I haven't had any issue with contamination. I agree that you get better temp control with the IC, but I do what I can with the CFC by toggling the amount of water flowing through the chiller.

Shiron plate chiller...just converted from a immersion..was taking way to long to chill 5.5 gallopnms...20-25 minutes..at best.
The Shiron plate chiller knocked it down in about 5-10 minutes. Quick disconnects for the hoses are on it for my second batch with it..seem to make chilling a lot easier and fgaster for me.

Nothing like bringing back a 7 month old thread....

I do not pump, I use gravity and yes, I always worried about it being clean or not on the inside but never had any problems. I always just stuck the hose to one end to flush it out and soaked it in StarSan.

I see IC's prices have come down a bit now that copper isn't so expensive, $55-$65.

I'm not ready to brew yet, the ground water is still too warm but I haven't brewed in like a year and a half so I'm itching to get out there!

Back