My brew's still "blubbing"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time brewer here.

I brewed the American Wheat recipe from NB two weeks ago (Saturday before last, to be exact). I've read some quick turn around times with this brew, so did a FG reading earlier today in hope to maybe start bottling Friday or Saturday (when I check the FG again).

Not much blubbing from the airlock, but since taking the FG reading, I'm hearing more action from the airlock than I have the last few days. Should I still go ahead and bottle as plan or wait a few more days? The recipe calls for 4 weeks from brew to drink. I used the dry yeast that was supplied too if that helps.

The bubbling at this point is most likely CO2 being released, not the active fermentation bubbles. Check the gravity a few days in a row. If no changes, I say bottle 'er up.

Squeeky nailed it as to why your getting bubbles, by opening it you agitated the beer, releasing CO2.

I'd probably leave it longer in the bucket though, even though fermentation is done conditioning is still occurring and it'll taste better if you let it wait another week or two :)

When I was brewing kits, I would always leave it for a few more weeks than the recipes call for. It seems as if they just want you to rush through everything, drink it, and buy another kit sooner. More time for conditioning makes every beer better.

If you're anywhere near your FG after two weeks chances are it's done. As for what the kit said, you can't really pin beer down to a schedule. It's done when it's done. How do you know? With your hydrometer and your taste buds. If you're at FG and you can't detect any off-flavors, you're good to go. If there is an off-flavor, some more time in the primary might help, but only to a certain extent and not for all problems.

If you're anywhere near your FG after two weeks chances are it's done. As for what the kit said, you can't really pin beer down to a schedule. It's done when it's done. How do you know? With your hydrometer and your taste buds. If you're at FG and you can't detect any off-flavors, you're good to go. If there is an off-flavor, some more time in the primary might help, but only to a certain extent and not for all problems.

I took a reading last night and it was at 1.010 (Og was 10.43, American Wheat from NB). It looked and smelled like a typical wheat beer and though it was "warm" and flat, I thought it tasted pretty good.

I may just go ahead and bottle it tomorrow or Saturday then.

Here's the thing, too...when people say "I'm at/almost at/past my FG...." how do you know what the FG of the beer will end up being? Sure, we plan for it, but every beer is different, every setup, etc. Don't pay attention to what it *should* be, rather, take 3 gravity readings over 3 days and make sure they're the same.

.....take 3 gravity readings over 3 days and make sure they're the same.

That's what I plan on doing. I'm not even going to touch it today, but planned on taking another reading Friday when I get home from work. If no change, then I'll bottle it or do it Saturday if I don't have time tomorrow evening.

Sorry for not mentioning that before. :tank:

Back