My brew is very sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwntang

Reaction score
Hi

Ive just finished making my 2nd all grain.

I just had a little taste before I added the yeast just to see what kind of taste it had and it was very very sweet! Is some of that sweetness likely to disappear once the yeast has done its thing? (I would like to lose some of the sweetness if possible)

Original gravity is reading 1.044

Thank you

Pwn

If you are tasting your wort before pitching yeast, of course it is going to be sweet. You just converted starch to sugar, and made sugar water. Same if your wort were from extract....that's what you want. You want sugar for the yeast to consume and pee alcohol and fart co2.

If it wasn't sweet, I'd be worried.

Great. I won't worry then.

This is the first time I have tried choosing the ingredients myself and I thought I might have screwed up already! I don't remember the last batch tasting as sweet as this one.

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Every wort is going to taste difference, just like every beer is different. No point in worry about whether something tastes or acts differently from one beer to another.

You're actually doing a very smart thing in tasting your wort. I taste throughout the entire process (whenever taking samples for gravity readings, etc.). Your final product will taste NOTHING like the sample you just took before adding yeast. Relax and have a homebrew as they say, everything is fine...

You're actually doing a very smart thing in tasting your wort. I taste throughout the entire process (whenever taking samples for gravity readings, etc.). Your final product will taste NOTHING like the sample you just took before adding yeast. Relax and have a homebrew as they say, everything is fine...

It's a pain lifting that huge bottle and I get the biscuits for a week but, heck! I drink directly from the fermenter.

:cross:

It's a silly world but it's funny. Why is it cheaper to brew English beer using English ingredients in America? Probably for the same reason why California olive oil and pistacchios are cheaper 3,900 miles away in New England than down the road where they were grown. Whatever that reason is.

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure you can tell that I'm new to all grain!

I think I would rather throw it away and start again before waiting weeks for it to be ready and then finding out that it's no good. However, I'm learning all the time, and now I've learned that the final product will taste very different to what it does before the yeast goes in.

Thank you very much!

Back