My beer is all cloudy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCREW

Reaction score
Hi all ive just done a coppers european lager with 1.5 kg of liquid malt extract my OG was 1.048 and FG was 1.015 it appears to be cloudy enough but is this normal as its so early ? It says leave in bottle for at least 12 weeks so will it clear out ? Thanks

How long did you ferment and at what temperature? Beer is almost always cloudy for at least 3 weeks after starting fermentation. 12 weeks should indeed help clear it out.

As the previous response mentioned, beer is often cloudy, especially when young. There are several things that you can do during the brew day and fermentation process to help clarify your beer. Some things you might want to read up on are using irish moss/whirlfloc in the boil, using secondary fermentation, cold crashing, and even (coincidentally considering the name of the previous poster) using gelatin during the later states of fermentation.

Once it's in the bottle though, just time is all you can really give it.

Note: there is nothing wrong with a little cloudy beer now an then. We're really talking about aesthetics here. I use a few of the above mentioned techniques for my lagers and lighter ales, but rarely focus on clarity for my fuller bodied beers.

Cheers!

If you have the fridge space don't worry about how it looks when you bottle. After it carbonates and ages for 12 weeks leave it in the fridge for 1-2 weeks before you drink it and it should be crystal clear! I've had a wheat beer turn crystal clear by leaving it in the fridge to cold condition for a couple weeks.

My average gravity pale ales take 3 weks to hit FG,clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. By three days or so in the bottles,they're nice & clear. Especially after at least 5 days fridge time.

My ferment time was 13 days at around 15 degrees . I appreciate the replys guys thanks im only starting out and need all the help i can get ! Il happily leave it the 12 weeks and maybe get another brew on the go

Back