My beer has a coffee flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayslaw

Reaction score
My first brew a couple months ago was an amber ale. I though it tasted ok, but not what I really wanted. It was a gift from my wife. For my second brew I made a double IPA. I opened the first bottle last night and was pleased with the scent, real hoppy. However, the color was very dark, darker then advertised, and taste had an identical flavor to the amber ale I brewed previously. I can only describe it as a coffee flavor. The coffee flavor really overpowers all other flavors and I don't like it. In the first brew, I thought it was normal for that amber ale, and didn't give it another thought. But I don't think this IPA should have that identical flavor, so I am thinking something is wrong.

I am guessing that the problem might be when I steeped the grains. The amber ale recipe called for steeping grains at less than 170 degrees for 15 to 30 minutes. the IPA called for steeping the grains at less than 170 degrees for 30 minutes. I did 30 minutes each time. I am wondering if I should cut back on the steeping time to get rid of the coffee flavor and the dark color. I am a newbie, so I could be totally wrong. Anybody else have a suggestion?

We would need to see the recipe and know which yeast you are using and temps you used for fermentation.

Are you doing full or partial boils with topoff?

Perhaps some of your extract is burning or caramelizing on the bottom of your boil kettle? That might create a slightly burnt or roasted coffee flavor. It definitely darkens your wort when the extract caramelizes. I'm not sure, just a guess.

It's possible that you caramelized/burt some of the extract. But post your recipe and we can get a better idea of what it might be.

You may also have started with an amber extract, which would have some of those darker malt flavors to begin with. Caramelization would increase those flavors.

Amber Ale: 6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract, 2 oz. Special B, 8 oz. Crystal 80L, 2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1 oz. Hallertau , 1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops, yeast, priming sugar.
1. Steep crushed grains for 10-30 minutes at 155 degrees.
2. Add malt extract while brew pot is off the burner.
3. Bring to a boil and add 1 oz Hallertau bittering hops. (60 Minutes)
4. Add 1 oz Fuggles aroma hops for the last 2 minutes.
5. Cool and add yeast.
6. Ferment and bottle. (2 stage fermentation is recommended)

Double IPA:

9.3 lbs. Gold Malt extract, 4 oz. Aromatic, 12 oz. Caramel 60L, 8 oz. Victory specialty grains, 1 oz. Chinook, 1 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Centennial, 1 oz. Crystal, 2 oz. Leaf (dry hop), priming sugar, muslin bag, and yeast

1. Steep crushed grains for 10-30 minutes at 155 degrees.
2. Add malt extract while brew pot is off the burner.
3. Bring to a boil and add 1 oz Chinook bittering hops. (60 Minutes)
4. Add ½ oz Cascade hops for the last 45 minutes.
5. Add ½ oz Centennial hops for the last 30 minutes of the boil.
6. Add ½ oz Cascade hops for the last 20 minutes of the boil.
7. Add ½ oz Centennial Hops for the last 10 minutes of the boil.
8. Add 1 oz Crystal hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil.
9. Cool, top up to 5 gallon mark and add yeast.
10. Ferment and after 1 week dry hop with 2 oz whole (leaf) hops

I used dry yeast on both. steeped grains at 155, not 170 like I said earlier. 3.5 gallon boil and topped off with ice to cool wort. The amber ale conditioned for 8 days and had a fantastic carbonation and head. The IPA has been in the bottle for 11 days and had a weak head.

I am wondering about the extract burning in the bottom of the kettle. I stir pretty well when adding it. I cooked both on an electric stove. Although the wort did not boil over, the stove got so hot that I broke it. Next time I will be using a propane cooker. Should be able to control the heat better. Any tips on preventing caramelizing the extract?

Do you remember the type of extract used in each recipe?

Edit: I'm thinking it's burnt extract related still...

Tips for not burning the extract: Stir it in really well. Also, you can add half the extract in the beginning of the boil, and the other half in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Those two things should help.

I don't remember the type of extract other than Gold Liquid as stated above. It occurs to me that the more detailed directions state after steeping the grains to bring to a boil, remove from heat, and add extract, then return to heat and boil. That is what I did both times. John at Midwest Brew Supply suggested I add the extract and stir for ten minutes before bringing to a boil. I'll try that next time.

I would still try the half and half thing. The extract only needs to dissolve into solution and boil for about 10-15 minutes to sanitize it. This helped me get a beer that wasn't darker than it was supposed to be. There's an episode of Basic Brewing Radio from awhile back that explains what I'm talking about, http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2005. I think it's the November 17th episode with Bob Hansen.

FYI - there are some good episodes of this show that helped me out a lot as a new brewer. Also the Brewing Network's Brew Strong and Can You Brew It are great resources. Good luck, hopefully you get the unwanted coffee flavor out of your next batch. :mug:

Its a good idea for a double IPA or IPA to try and boil more water for better hop utilization this would make for a more distinct flavor from the amber and double IPA, and it would make it a little harder to burn the malt extract.

Back