My beer doesn't chill well.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
I've noticed this a few times, but if I put a conditioned beer into the fridge for a few hours and it maybe gets to 10C/48F it stays clear and tastes great.

If I leave it in the fridge for a day however, down to 2-3C/34-36F it goes completely cloudy like it just came out of the FV! I know this is chill haze.

But the beer tastes like it looks, chalky/yeasty, poor.

Is there something I can do to avoid chill haze? Will leaving them in the fridge for a week or more cause the chill haze to settle out and the beer clear up?

Or maybe this beer is still just too young, the last example was a final bottle of red ale that was about 5 weeks bottled.

Here is a good article for you to read. It will help you conquer your current haze problem and how to brew to avoid it in the future.

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/23-clarity/490-conquer-chill-haze

To get little or no chill haze,you have to chill the BK of hot wort down to pitch temp (64-70F for me) in 20 minutes or less. If you don't for whatever reason,it's still not the end of the world. Chill haze starts becoming noticable after the beer starts to get good & cold in the fridge. You can watch it slowly settle out over the corse of a couple of days.
This is another reason I always say to give the beers at least one week in the fridge. Ir gives any chill haze that couple of days to settle out while the co2 in the head space slowly goes into solution. Def not a quick process overall. But the chill haze will settle out in a couple days,& all that & the yeast trub will compact on the bottom of the bottle. I think it also helps to pour the chilled wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer into primary. Aerates well & gets out graint stuff & hop debrie. Less stuff to make the beer cloudy later,not to mention less trub & more clear beer to bottle.

I was thinking my failure was not allowing the cold break material to settle out before siphoning to the FV... and avoiding sucking it all into the FV.

I was intending on... next brew chilling the wort to 20-25C with protofloc iin the boil, then leaving it for a few hours and siphoning above the bottom and hopefully leaving the boil trub behind.

It's like my recent problem of floating sediments, I never let the protofloc clear the wort after the boil, I just sucked it all up into the FV.

I think I'm learning that boil time clearing agents need to have time after wort chill to do their job and you shouldn't stir the chilling wort without letting it settle out before siphoning.

Back