My Ball Lock posts fit perfectly on my Pin Lock kegs!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja09

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 used pin locks from Midwest because I haven't seen any used ball locks in a while. Instead of buying pin lock QD's, I purchased the ball lock conversion kit since all my other kegs are ball locks...

Went to assemble the conversion kit, and they didn't even come close to threading on. Pretty frustrated, but then I looked at the pin lock posts, and some ball lock posts I had laying around, and they appeared to have the same inside diameter and thread pattern. I screwed on the ball lock posts, and they fit perfectly, and have the exact same thread pattern. Leak tested the posts submerged in water, no leaks. Kegged last night and am force carbing now with no leaks. :rockin:

So now I'm totally confused. I've read everywhere that this wasn't possible. Both my ball and pin locks were manufactured by Cornelius Co., so I'm guessing this is the reason?

Sure, it's possible.

I have a cornelius brand coke (pin lock) keg, and a few cornelius brand ball-locks. They all fit each other just fine. It's the challenger and firestone kegs that are different for me.

Sure, it's possible.

I have a cornelius brand coke (pin lock) keg, and a few cornelius brand ball-locks. They all fit each other just fine. It's the challenger and firestone kegs that are different for me.

I recently got 4 ball locks and one of them takes a much smaller wrench to get the posts off. Do you know what one would be?

Sure, it's possible.

Thanks Yooper. I did a lot of reading before I got into kegging, and I'm very surprised I never came across this anywhere. It works out great for me, especially since I like to buy new posts anyways. Cheers!

Can't blame the forum, that was a total dumb-thumb on my part.
Thanks to Nick for the assist, fixed the original for the record...

Cheers!

Back