American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a DIPA I have been developing that I am brewing next, after that I HAVE to brew this again, still one of the best (commercial or homebrewed) IPA's I have had.

does anyone know what the time table would be if i didn't keg?
If i start this tomorrow can i be drinking it in 4 weeks.

thanks

I'm dry hopping tomorrow for the first time and I also forgot to put in my Whirlfoc during the boil. What is recommended to help clear up my beer? Gelatin? Isinglass? Morefine? something else?
Can I dry hop in the primary or should I transfer to secondary as per the recipe?

I've never tried to clear my beers, so can't answer that.

Dry hopping in the primary is the easiest, in my opinion. Either dump them in, or add them to a sack of some kind (1 gallon paint strainer bag work amazing for this). I use dental floss to suspend them in the middle and so I can retrieve them easily.

I had this kegged in time for the Super Bowl and it was a big hit (as were my Seahawks!!!). Really delicious! I think this has made a slot on my rotation for sure. Thanks a lot for the recipe.

I'm brewing a version of this tomorrow. It's my third time brewing, and the first time that I'll be trying a Partial Mash. When I plugged in the AG recipe to BS2, then converted to PM, both the Munich and the Crystal were completely dropped out! So I sat down with a more experienced brewer I know and we came up with the following. Also, I've been itching to try Citra, so I subbed it for the Chinook, and also added it to the dry hop. Both the dry hop additions are whole leaf. Rest are pellets.

Brew Type: Partial Mash - BIAB
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 6.38 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %

5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]
1.00 oz Cascade [7.70 %] - (leaf) Dry Hop 14.0 Days
1.00 oz Citra [13.80 %] - (leaf) Dry Hop 14.0 Days

I'm not doing starters yet, so going with US-05. I'm more comfortable with dry yeast. How long do you guys dry hop, and should I do both together, or in two separate stretches?

I intentionally pulled back on the OG just a bit to get the ABV down around 6%. BS2 says OG is 1.058 and FG will be 1.014. Does that sound right? If I'm starting with an OG below Enohcs recipe, why am I finishing with an FG above his?

I've studied Deathbrewers BIAB thread, but I need to adjust for different equipment. I only have one kettle, but it's a good size (9 gal) and I boil outside on a propane burner, so I can do a full boil. The only other pots I have available are 2 gal and 1.5 gallon.

Beersmith says to mash with 9.4 qts at 162, then sparge with 4.9 gallons at 168. I'm not sure what's the best way to do this with my equipment. What if I were to heat up 6 gallons close to boiling, then drain off five gallons into an igloo cooler I have. Then add another gallon or so to the brew pot to get up to the 9.4 qts and heat it to 162 for the mash? Any chance the water in the cooler (rectangular type, no drain) would hold enough temp for an hour while I mash? If it's too hot, I could add a little cool water to bring it down to 168, and if it's too cool, I could have some boiling water in the two gallon pot waiting to warm it back up. Would this work???

Any suggestions regarding these procedures, or problems with the recipe will be appreciated.

How long do you guys dry hop, and should I do both together, or in two separate stretches?
If I do a single dry hop, I usually do 7 days. If I do 2 separate dry hops, I do 4-5 days each. The timing on this can be pretty loose, but the one thing you don't want to do is dry hop too long because you may get grassy off aromas.

I intentionally pulled back on the OG just a bit to get the ABV down around 6%. BS2 says OG is 1.058 and FG will be 1.014. Does that sound right? If I'm starting with an OG below Enohcs recipe, why am I finishing with an FG above his?
Several possible reasons for the higher FG. Your recipe changes make the wort not as fermentable as the original one. I'm assuming the liquid extract is the biggest reason, but I didn't compare your recipes side by side. It also could be the yeast you subbed in has a lower attenuation than the original yeast. Or it could just be that Beersmith is wrong. There are many factors that go it, so it's not unusual for it to be off a bit.

How's everyone liking this beer? I like that it doesn't use any crazy designer hops (citra sim ama gal ) just classic American yakima varieties.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Little update: Bottled this last night. Of course I had to take a sample upon detecting the insane aroma. Tell you what, it was SOOOO good I actually drank TWO totally flat, totally warm glasses while bottling. My only change was a dry hop with 2.5 oz of Mosaic, a personal fave. I cannot wait for this beer to finish up. Even flat and warm I was thinking "Maaaan, this might very well be the best beer I've had in my life!" How about that for build up pressure, eh?

I think the key to making this IPA so damn smooth and enjoyable is the skipped 60 minute bittering in lieu of the 30 minute addition, which honestly had me a bit concerned at first. Kind of puts an end to the fairly nonsense IBU arms race that seems to be going on now, and it just makes those ample IBUs just sooooo smooth. I deeply suspect even the "IPA haters" in my life are going to dig this one. Will update again when it's complete. Stoked! Thanks again to OP.

How's everyone liking this beer? I like that it doesn't use any crazy designer hops (citra sim ama gal ) just classic American yakima varieties.

I love the way this beer turned out. I like the balance of aroma and bitter that this recipe produces. I have a good friend that drinks a lot of BMC and has said this may be the best beer he's had. He also said that if I brew a 5gallon batch every other month that he wants it as one of his two taps at home all the time. That's a pretty good testament to the OP sharing a great recipe with us. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm finding it's really hard to screw this beer up.

If I do a single dry hop, I usually do 7 days. If I do 2 separate dry hops, I do 4-5 days each. The timing on this can be pretty loose, but the one thing you don't want to do is dry hop too long because you may get grassy off aromas.

So what would be the determining factor as to whether I put both hops in for a single dry hop or do them separately? To refresh, both are whole leaf hops, citra and cascade. Citra has a higher alpha, and Cascade has a higher beta. If I understand the difference correctly, the beta effects the aroma more. So would this mean I should do the Cascade last if i do two separate dry hops?

Whenever I've seen 2 dry hops, it splits up the hops, so in your case, you could do 1/2 oz each hop for the 2 separate dry hops. But honestly, I'd probably bump them up to 1 oz each for each dry hop (total 4 oz). Or just stick with 1 oz each for 1 dry hop period. Maybe someone with more expertise will chime in.

Whenever I've seen 2 dry hops, it splits up the hops, so in your case, you could do 1/2 oz each hop for the 2 separate dry hops. But honestly, I'd probably bump them up to 1 oz each for each dry hop (total 4 oz). Or just stick with 1 oz each for 1 dry hop period. Maybe someone with more expertise will chime in.

So it sounds like you're saying the reason for two dry hops would just be to have the beer exposed to fresh hops for a longer period of time. That makes sense since I've read that leaving the same hops in the beer for too long of a period can lead to grassiness. Given that, I think I will just do a single 7 day dry hop with both.

UPDATE: This beer is nothing short of incredible. Probably the best beer I've had...........anywhere.

HoperatingWhileImpaired.jpg

as I said in a few posts ago, I did not add any clarifier during the boil..I'm scheduled to bottle Sunday. What should I do to help clear my adult beverage? Can I cold crash?

I also used ice water to crash so I am a little colder than the fridge folks. It turns the yeast cake into peanut butter.

as I said in a few posts ago, I did not add any clarifier during the boil..I'm scheduled to bottle Sunday. What should I do to help clear my adult beverage? Can I cold crash?

Definitely cold crash. It would clear with time, but this isn't a beer you should keep hanging around. I rarely add any clarifying agents anymore, unless clarity is at a premium (a wedding is the last time I used any). You could also add gelatin, in addition to cold crashing.

For those of you who bottle, how long do you leave this in primary? Mine's been in 13 days. I'm going to do a 7 day dry hop in the primary. Should I start my dry hop tomorrow, and bottle at 21 days, or wait another week? My OG was 1.056 and SG is now down to 1.009.

I haven't brewed this IPA but I would usually do 7 days and then dry hop for 5 to 7 and then bottle for a single dry hop. For two dry hops, I would usually do 5 days then dry hop for 5, pull the first dry hop and then dry hop for five more.

I haven't brewed this IPA but I would usually do 7 days and then dry hop for 5 to 7 and then bottle for a single dry hop. For two dry hops, I would usually do 5 days then dry hop for 5, pull the first dry hop and then dry hop for five more.

Sorry if my question wasn't clear. I have already decided that I'm going to do a single 7 day dry hop. I assumed that this should be the last 7 days of fermentation prior to bottling. The OP says 7 days primary and then into keg for conditioning and dry hop, but I'm not kegging, so just wondering for those who have made this and bottle, how many days total do they leave in the fermentor? Now 14 days total for me, so is it time for the dry hop now, or would the beer benefit from leaving it for another week before starting the 7 day dry hop? And what if I want to cold crash? Can that be done at the same time as the dry hop, or should I pull the hops back out prior to cold crashing?

Well today is bottling day. I cold crashed @ 38 degrees for two days. Pulled out the SS Conical Brew Bucket from fermenter chamber and letting it sort of warm up. Also going to do my first yeast washing. Boiling the water as I type. So this should be an interesting late morning early afternoon day, as I am doing two things that I have never done before. I'm sure all should go well..right?

just finished one of my bottles that were carbed per the calculator. Only bottled for one week and in the fridge for about 4 hours, long story short...it's carbed "wonderfully". Tastes great too. my other test is to give one of the calculator carbed bottles to a friend at work that knows IPA's. I'll remove all labels and wait for his critique. Tomorrow morning, I'll put one of the post carbed bottles and open it up in the evening. Hope it's not a bottle bomb. Was watching Caddy Shack II as I typed this and the movie sucks.

This is a good recipe. I found it a bit bitter for the first 2 weeks in the keg vs malt, but really opened up at the end of week 2. (I missed the wheat, but hit the numbers).

I'm glad I (mostly) waited to see how it would evolve. Very drinkable

This is a very good IPA. I'm about to brew it again. In 5 years of brewing this is the only time I've brewed a recipe twice. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

Only 8 days of bottle conditioning plus one in the fridge, but I couldn't resist. Color is a tad darker than I expected, and I'm sure it will improve with a bit more conditioning, but this is one right tasty brew! Thanks Enohcs! I'm sure the brand new glass from my trip to Memphis last week doesn't hurt.

DSC_0186.jpg

So I'm having some friends over in about a week to taste my first three attempts at home brewing. I'd like to have a commercial IPA or two on hand for side by side comparisons. Can anyone recommend an IPA or two available in Texas that is similar to this beer for comparison?

My recipe is up in post 369. It's an extract PM version with some minor changes, mainly that I used Citra in place of Chinook in the boil, and in place of one of the Cascade ounces in the dry hop. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.008. ABV of about 6.2%.

No offense, but I don't think anyone could tell you what a beer you made with a recipe no one has used would taste like.

Just grab a common ipa that they would likely have had before

Back