My $13.15 solution to avoid blowing into my siphon starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Even with the supplied mouth filter, it just didn't seem right blowing air into the carboy so I purchased this blood pressure bulb/pump. The barb fits perfectly snug inside the cap tube. Now it's time to etch/calibrate the glass and ready myself for brew day. 👍

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

That seems odd. So you are uncomfortable blowing air into the carboy but perfectly okay with pumping air into the carboy? It's still air!

I've seen guys hook up some CO2 to start the siphon to avoid oxygen, but your solution is a new one.

I don't think that it is about the air going in as much as it's the fact that it's coming from his mouth and may infect his beer. yorkeken I would just say put the sanitary filter inline with your hand pump.

Will an auto siphon fit in one of those tubes? I am looking into turning a 1/4 slim keg into a fermentor using the carboy cap and like the idea of transferring while keeping the cap on.

You can start a siphon by sucking with a big turkey baster or a 100ml plastic syringe on the end of the tubing.

Off topic: I would caution you against using that carboy handle to lift full carboys. They're only designed to be used on empty carboys. The weight of a full carboy exerts uneven stress on the neck and can snap it off causing catastrophic injury (and mess).

Use the autosiphon without the cap on the carboy. It will only be open to the air for a short amount of time and if you are siphoning into a bottling bucket think about how much open that is.

Autosiphons are so easy to use I don't know why anyone uses just a cane, unless starting the siphon using co2.

Back