Must fight the urge to be a beer snob....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boswell said:
As a lifelong bartender/server/hospitality employee/home brewer/beer drinker, I bring a unique viewpoint to these discussions. My point stands. Don't thrust your likes/dislikes upon other patrons or the staff. Drink your beer, tip well, leave happy. No sense in giving advice when not asked for. Just because you know what Malto-dextrine is, doesn't mean that every server should. Leave the suggestions to the bartender serving it.

Which is precisely why I didn't say a word. On an off note is it rude to ask for recipe advice at a place like that because their brown ale is wonderful and I'd love to make something close to it

At the brewpub where I worked the brewer would readily give you his recipes. I haven't worked at all of them, but I 'ass-u-me' most brewers would share any recipe within reason. I'm sure some would hold back specifics regarding special release beers or perhaps some signature release, but even then, brewers in general seem to be a sharing sort. I would ask, maybe bring him/her a homebrew and you may be surprised with some free yeast.

Give the OP a break.

When someone says something as if they are an authority and they are obviously wrong, its hard to bite one's tongue. I praise his restraint. Now, if the guy off-handedly said "I like miller light because its triple hopped" I think saying "hey have you had the third beer down on the chalkboard? Personally I like it even better than miller light because..." assuming the guy is giving off the vibe he wants to chat about beer. Otherwise I would leave him alone.

Sometimes when my wife is talking with a stranger and she tells them she works with cheese she will get some variation of "oh I like cheese, I just dont like goat cheese". Its hard to NOT respond to something like that.

CreamyGoodness said:
Sometimes when my wife is talking with a stranger and she tells them she works with cheese she will get some variation of "oh I like cheese, I just dont like goat cheese". Its hard to NOT respond to something like that.

Haha! That would be me. Well, except I wouldn't just come out and say it as the first thing in the discussion. I love cheese, but I absolutely hate goat cheese. I have yet to try a goat cheese that doesn't taste and/or smell like a goat. I don't care for that.
By the way Creamy, if you have any suggestions that might change my mind about goat cheese, I'm usually up for trying anything.

WesleyS said:
Haha! That would be me. Well, except I wouldn't just come out and say it as the first thing in the discussion. I love cheese, but I absolutely hate goat cheese. I have yet to try a goat cheese that doesn't taste and/or smell like a goat. I don't care for that.
By the way Creamy, if you have any suggestions that might change my mind about goat cheese, I'm usually up for trying anything.

I love all cheese!

From my wife "You may want to start with a mixed milk like La Tur or Cremont. If that goes well- goat log and beets. The mellowness of the beets soothes the tartness that goat-haters fear."

By the way, I would sit in a room all alone with La Tur OR Cremont and a baguette and eat both until I hate myself.

From my wife "You may want to start with a mixed milk like La Tur or Cremont. If that goes well- goat log and beets. The mellowness of the beets soothes the tartness that goat-haters fear."

By the way, I would sit in a room all alone with La Tur OR Cremont and a baguette and eat both until I hate myself.

Yes please

CreamyGoodness said:

Thanks, I'll pick some up and let you know how it goes.

I love the website referral, very interesting. I was referring to smashing on the grill, which is how most burger killers squeeze the good stuff out of their burgers.

The flipping part shocks me, it is certainly against the "pro advice." I wonder if you did it how most pro chefs cook meat- brown each side, then finish off the direct heat in an oven, if that'd be even better.:off:

Either way, bad burgers, or any burgers with BMC are just a shame, there are so many better options from the Craft world. I am just wondering how a great burger with an Imperial Pilsner would be? Ooooooh. Sounds good. :mug:

A good burger and a nice craft brew is pretty much my Friday tradition, except it ends up being a whole bunch of craft beers

LBussy said:
I am saying that beer is beer, and more often than not people pay too much attention to what is on the label and not enough on what is in the glass. In this case "Import" (actually domestic since I was in Germany) was pretty close to "Domestic" (which was import since I was in Germany.) *I* was willing to dismiss MGD as being inferior when I had just spend a night in the beer tent pounding down Cluss - and they were very close in taste.

Clear as mud?

This whole forum proves that pretty much anyone can make a decent ale if they can follow directions. Not everyone can make BMC. I think maybe it would be fair that people *could* be beer snobs only after they have mastered the skill and science necessary to make a Bud Light clone.

I bought an American Light Lager from a local brewery whose IPAs and Pale Ales I really like. I was disappointed to find that they did a great job with the style.
It's a good idea for the brewery. I'd bring this beer to BMC drinking friends, they'd become familiar with the brewery and be more likely to try their other beers. It may also cater to snobs who choose clothing, cars, etc. by brand.
They'll pay twice the price of BMC and be seen with bottles from "XYZ" brewery, while enjoying the type of beer they like and feeling good about drinking a craft beer.

SharonaZamboni said:
I bought an American Light Lager from a local brewery whose IPAs and Pale Ales I really like. I was disappointed to find that they did a great job with the style.
It's a good idea for the brewery. I'd bring this beer to BMC drinking friends, they'd become familiar with the brewery and be more likely to try their other beers. It may also cater to snobs who choose clothing, cars, etc. by brand.
They'll pay twice the price of BMC and be seen with bottles from "XYZ" brewery, while enjoying the type of beer they like and feeling good about drinking a craft beer.

This post makes me smile:) mostly the part about the hipsters

I fought the urge of beer snobbery last night and won. Was at a cool little pizza place/tap house and they had Stone Enjoy By 5.17.13. Definitely give them props for having such a dank beer but it's, ya know, the 29th (28th at the time). Seems like Stone wouldn't be that stoked to find out it's being served past the date stated in the name of the beer. Or perhaps they couldn't care less. Probably the latter now that I think about it. Who knows. Either way, I'd be lying if I said that the urge to say something to the bartender wasn't there. But I held my tongue. Calling 'em out for serving a beer less than 2 weeks past its best by date seemed a bit snobby so I let it ride. If it's still there next month though...

I fought the urge of beer snobbery last night and won. Was at a cool little pizza place/tap house and they had Stone Enjoy By 5.17.13. Definitely give them props for having such a dank beer but it's, ya know, the 29th (28th at the time). Seems like Stone wouldn't be that stoked to find out it's being served past the date stated in the name of the beer. Or perhaps they couldn't care less. Probably the latter now that I think about it. Who knows. Either way, I'd be lying if I said that the urge to say something to the bartender wasn't there. But I held my tongue. Calling 'em out for serving a beer less than 2 weeks past its best by date seemed a bit snobby so I let it ride. If it's still there next month though...

Stone actually encourages its customers to report to them merchants that sell it after the date so they can address the problem.

Oh, right on - that's actually pretty cool. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll have to look them up then...

Stone actually encourages its customers to report to them merchants that sell it after the date so they can address the problem.

they dont have that much power. They try but it doesnt always happen. THere is a store by my house that said they would only allow them to carry STone if it was kept in a cooler. Go .5 mile down the road to another store and it is sitting on the shelves
Koch is a little bit overboard if you have ever talked to him.

I am happy to bore anyone to tears about beer, so long as they initiate interest. Otherwise, I just smile and carry on. Taste is completely subjective. I can't tell you what you should like.

they dont have that much power. They try but it doesnt always happen. THere is a store by my house that said they would only allow them to carry STone if it was kept in a cooler. Go .5 mile down the road to another store and it is sitting on the shelves
Koch is a little bit overboard if you have ever talked to him.

I got that from a interview with him, he seemed really hardcore about it but I wouldnt know how they could effectively enforce it.

Just to be a jerk I would have sat at the bar, sipping the beer and subtlely pointing at the label giggling to myself.

Back