Musselmans Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best store to get this stuff? They don't have it at my local Target stores.

The only place I've seen it is Walmart and for some reason they run out round Christmas.
I don't know when they get more. But the Musselmans website has a store locator on it.

I have two 5 gallon batches of this stuff fermenting right now, with different yeasts. Very economical and people say it ends up pretty tasty. I tasted my first batch about a month in (pitched with Notty ale yeast) and I do have to say I was dismayed about the thin and harsh flavor as compared to cider I have pressed myself or got directly from orchards here in the northeast. I'm hoping it was just too young. I am actually going to bottle that one tomorrow, it has been in the secondary for two more months. Fingers crossed. From what I have read this stuff is at its best after about 6 months.

Thanks for the great info. I picked up 6 gallons today from Walmart. Debating on yeast at the moment.

The Walmart near me had this on clearance for 2 bucks a gallon. I picked up several

They have it at Walmart all the time by me. Check you local grocery stores too but definitely more expensive

I have 6 gallons of the spiced variety I plan on doing something with soon, might make a couple cysters. I think I was able to get it at the local Walmart for about $3/gal. I used the regular non-spiced for a hard cider when it first hit the shelves, pitched US-05, and it came out really tart. I thought maybe I got an infection, but after trying a few name brands it didn't seem too far off. I didn't know to let it age 6 months, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

Thanks for the info. So far so good with this cider. I will post photos later. It came out very clear and basically fermented out in the primary. I was surpirsed how clear it was during the first racking.

I've used it for a couple five gallon batches when I couldn't get my hands on anything else. They have been drinkable ciders, but not the best. Always try to get fresh juice or apples if you can. If not, then the next tier is a good store bought cider with no additives or preservatives. Just juice no concentrates. Most important is to taste whatever brand you're using before you start, avoid bland and sugary, go for a full mouth feel and taste. It should taste like your eating an apple.

Case in point, I'm using 12 gallons of Sprouts apple juice to start a batch today (available in the southwest). Nothing added 100% juice.

View attachment 1457211875724.jpg

View attachment 1457211910371.jpg

If I could find something similar to that Sprouts brand here in Connecticut I would totally try it. I normally buy fresh pressed from a cider mill down the street from me.

During the apple "season", Costco has Hays apple cider for $4.50ish a gallon. Really good stuff for the price.

If I could find something similar to that Sprouts brand here in Connecticut I would totally try it. I normally buy fresh pressed from a cider mill down the street from me.

I wonder who actually makes it. It say made for Sprouts not by Sprouts. There is something like it in the healthy section at Stop & Shop but crazy expensive.

I wonder who actually makes it. It say made for Sprouts not by Sprouts. There is something like it in the healthy section at Stop & Shop but crazy expensive.

Ill check it out. I may hold off until the fall for my next cider project. I am getting the interest to do a mead.

I just bought the last 2 gals of Musselman's from Walmart in the DC region of Virginia. Had to use Trader Joe's fancy $3.99 1/2 gal stuff for the other 3 gals.
Next year I'm jumping on the Musselman's early. I went to 4 Walmarts and I got the last of their stock till next season.

I just bought the last 2 gals of Musselman's from Walmart in the DC region of Virginia. Had to use Trader Joe's fancy $3.99 1/2 gal stuff for the other 3 gals.
Next year I'm jumping on the Musselman's early. I went to 4 Walmarts and I got the last of their stock till next season.

My walmart was out too.
So I went to Sam's club and get member's mark 100% apple juice. 3.98 for 1.5 gallons.

Umm... don't they grow apples in Virginia? Why would you not use fresh orchard cider?

Umm... don't they grow apples in Virginia? Why would you not use fresh orchard cider?

No apples this time of year unfortunately...

I am though going to go to an orchard about an hour away from me this coming fall and have them fill up two of my fermenting buckets. Definitely will take advantage of living in Virginia

I'm in the same, lack of local apple, predicament. Of course if you can get fresh pressed cider fill up every carboy and jug you can get your hands on, but when the season is over the cider still needs to get made. Try and find a local-ish place that pasteurizes without using sorbate. Next look for regional brands and as a last resort a national brand. Read the label. Don't get crappy apple juice and expect decent cider. Don't go for the cheapest. Make sure it was made in the US(or your own country) from US fruit. You can get stuff from China that is processed in the US or bottled in the US do read the label. Lastly, always always always try some before you start a batch. Don't waste your time with juice that tastes crappy.

I ended up using 2 gals (All I could find) of Musselman's and 3 gals of fancy Trader Joes unfiltered which ran $4 for 2 quarts. Good thing about the fancier stuff is that the OG was at 1.072 without adding anything.

1.072? unpossible.

Actually what is more impossible is the word unpossible. Lol
Seriously, here's what happened. I added half a bag of light brown sugar to my Musselman's and Trader Joes Cider shooting for 1.05-6 ish, well it came in at 1.082. Pretty hot for a neighborhood cider, I've got 5 gals in a 6.5 Fermentor so I go to the store and buy some more cider to dilute it down a bit. I get it home and figure I will gravity test it first this time (I'm learning at this point). It comes in at 1.072. I'm like no wonder it hit 1.082 with just a little sugar. Anyway I decide to freeze the cider i bought and leave it as is, 5 days fermenting with Mangrove Jacks M02 Cider Yeast and it hit 1.014 giving me a abv of 8.93% which is hot but not that bad. I will leave it in secondary about 1.5 months than backsweeten with wine conditioner and the apple essence from the frozen 1/2 gal, throw it in the keg and call it.:tank:

I was at Walmart today and they had some. Spiced and Fresh. Started 5 gal.

Back