Musgo- old grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
I am cleaning out some old grains by making them in to a beer that I'm calling Musgo, because everything mus'go, it's what my dad called leftover soup. I'm just curious what others out there would suggest adding to turn this into something good.

I do 5 gallon batches and have: two row pale-7#, Victory- 1#, English Chocolate-12oz, Caramel 60- 8oz, Pale Chocolate- 8oz, Gambrinus Honey- 8oz, Caramel 10- 4oz, and English Dark Crystal- 4oz

I need to verify the amounts since I'm just eyeballing it at the moment since I'm just brain storming but I think they should all be within 4oz of what I have stated. I thought about just making it as is but I'm worried about the lowish gravity with the high percentage of chocolate malts. I don't mind adding a bit to it but the point is to use the leftovers, not make more of them. I'd like to keep grain additions to whole pounds which probably means just base malts, though suggest what you think would work. Don't feel like you have to limit suggestions to just grains, I don't mind other kinds of additions or whatever suggestion you may have.

I have an idea or two of mine own but I'll wait to post that until after some others have added some so I don't bias or skew peoples thoughts in any particular direction.

Thanks

Looks like the perfect ingredients for a Musgo Porter!

You may want to hold back a bit on the English Chocolate. I'd leave out all the Honey Malt and use it for something else, although it may work, who knows.
Specialty, crystal, and roasted grains really don't spoil quickly. They're good for years, cool and dry stored in ziplocks.
You may need another pound (or 2) of 2-row to boost gravity a bit, depending on your mash efficiency.

I was thinking of a porter! I was actualy thinking of adding a touch of cacao nibs and doing a chocolate porter. I wasn't sure of there were other ideas.

Specialty, crystal, and roasted grains really don't spoil quickly. They're good for years, cool and dry stored in ziplocks.
You may need another pound (or 2) of 2-row to boost gravity a bit, depending on your mash efficiency.

Will they last if they have already been crushed?

Back