Muntons Mexican Cerveza Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjs6g3

Reaction score
I just bought a Muntons Mexican Cervesa kit and the directions aren't very clear to me. The directions say to begin fermenting at 18-21 degrees celsius which is a lot lower than all the Coopers kits I've tried. Also when it says to bottle, the kit says to store in a hot place for the first 2 days then in a cool place for a couple weeks.

I was wondering 1. if I could ferment at a temperature between 24-26 degrees celsius and still have it ferment properly, and 2. what would be considered a hot place and a cool place when I am ready to bottle?

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I just started brewing a week ago.

24-26C is high (high 70s Fahrenheit). The Cerveza should be a lager like brew (albeit with an ale yeast), so all the more reason to keep it on the cool side while fermenting. It will make a cleaner beer.

I'm not sure what two weeks "hot" for carbonation means. You have more leeway than for fermenting. I'd try stay from 70-75F, but you can go cooler or warmer. Too cool (e.g., ~60F) and it could take a lot longer to carb.

My basement is a steady 24 degrees C (75 egrees F). Is that too hot for a Cerveza? And if it is what would happen to the beer if i decided to start fermenting at this temp?

Try getting it colder before you pitch your yeast, I put my jugs of bottled water in the fridge overnight so they will help drop my temp more, I shoot for 68 to 70 when I pitch and then it will usually warm up a few degrees when fermentation starts, I guess the first days of fermentation are the most crucial.I am drinking a Muntons stout, from their gold line and it turned out great. As good as Guiness( in my & friends opinion).

I wouldn't ferment over 20C if I could help it. I'll second prechilling your top off water. I had an ale chilled to the point of having condensation on the outside of the kettle. I pitched the yeast, set the t-stat to 19C and let it rise up on its own.

Kits don't normally come with a big pitch of yeast so to circumvent that they have you ferment at a higher temperature. If you keep the gravity around 1.040 the 7 gram packet will do at cooler temps.

To do it properly you would need to use a proper lager yeast at lager yeast fermenting temperatures, but most beginners aren't set up to do that.

These kits use an ale yeast which is more forgiving. Still try to keep the fermenting temperature below 70f for best results. The higher your fermenting temps, the more higher alcohols and esters you'll get from it. Not what you really want in a cervesa.

I made this kit back in August or september and really didn't know much about yeast and temp until much more recently. It brewed up well but was quite estery (fruity) in flavour, however 5 months later it was awesome.

I made this kit back in August or september and really didn't know much about yeast and temp until much more recently. It brewed up well but was quite estery (fruity) in flavour, however 5 months later it was awesome.

I am just learning to be patient AND IT IS REALLY PAYING OFF.3 weeks min. in primary and 3 weeks in bottles makes for a great beer. I think most people who think their batch didn't turn out right just did not wait long enough.

I do 1-2 weeks in primary and then secondary until clear, could be 10 days could be 2 months. Then bottle (or keg, just started kegging) and after it is carbed, I just try one and if not drinkable, wait two week, if not drinkable wait two more and so on.

Latest posts

Back