Muntons glod IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

I have not posted in a while... I was away in New Zealand on vacation and drinking lots of great beer! Anyways... for those of you who don't know... I'm in Korea and new to this hobby. I'm getting ready to brew another batch... and I'm going to try for a India Pale Ale from the Muntons gold line. http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/canada_usa/gold_india.htm

Anyways... I wanted to ask if anybody has any experience with this kit, and if you can lend any suggestions of pointers. I'm open to tinkering with the formula a bit... so don't be shy in suggesting any changes you may have made in the past.

Happy brewing! :mug:

It's a pre-hopped no boil kit. Just add water and yeast.
If it's the first time you are brewing I'd follow the instructions so you know what it is supposed to taste like.
Save tinkering for the second time if you are not happy with it.
It's an all malt kit so you are in with a chance of reasonable beer.
If you don't think it'll be good enough then steep some grains and maybe add aroma hops.

Do not boil a no boil kit you'll loose the hop flavour and aroma.

orfy said:
...Do not boil a no boil kit you'll loose the hop flavour and aroma.
Oops. :( Wish I'd read this thread first. About 2 days ago I boiled mine for about a half hour, with a couple ounces of fuggles for finishing at the last couple minutes. It's been fermenting since Sunday evening. Now what do I do? Should I try to dry hop it after transferring to a secondary fermenter next Sunday or just not worry about it? And if I should try that, how do I go about dry hopping?

With this kit... you can brew it to 4.5% or 6% alcohol... but to brew to 6% you need to add in some sugar. Could I substitute honey and be alright with the flavour profile?

The best thing to do to increase the strength and get the best taste is just reduce the water volume.

Why not try it at 4% first to see what good beer tastes like then you can experiment?

<--- In Korea too

I would STRONGLY recommend not following the directions on Muntons cans, if you follow them you'll be drinking beer that is still VERY green. Don't put it in bottles until 3+ weeks after you pitch it and definatley don't put it in the fridge a few days after bottling it.

Also I would recommend steering clear of pre-hopped LME in general, its not too hard to buy unhopped DME and boil up some hops and you'll save money and get better beer.

Latest posts

Back