Muntons Ale Dry Yeast (used by mistake)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfbrew70

Reaction score
I don't know the differences in yeasts, so I just go with the kit recommendations.

A few days ago, I brewed an all grain Brown Porter. My first 5 gal batch.

When I purchased the kit online, two different yeasts were recommended. I chose the dry option - Muntons Premium Gold Ale Dry Yeast. I just realized that I was instead sent the standard Muntons Ale Dry Yeast. I used it without noticing.

Since then, I have read some negative comments about this yeast. So, I'm concerned.

Any thoughts? Will it be OK? Anything I should do while the batch is still in the primary (5th day as of now)?

Here are some observations from the air-lock:

(Times are after pitching. I had about 3" of head space.)

2 hr 45 min = noticed first burp.
4 hr 15 min = 1 burp every 10 seconds.
7 hr 40 min = at least 1 burp per second.
16 hr 40 min (next day) = 2 burps per second.
A few hours later = 1 burp every 20 seconds or so.
Next day, no burps.

Thanks!

It will be fine, and there's nothing to be done about it now if it weren't. Sounds like fermentation took off promptly. Let it sit for two or three weeks, check that fermentation is done, and you're ready to bottle. Congrats on your first 5 gallon batch!

Nothing to be done now.

I went to the Munton's site and could not find any information about the yeasts.

I would suspect the difference between the two would be small.

FYI do not use the airlock as a sure sign of the state of the fermentation. If you do not have a hydrometer, get one. I would leave the beer in primary for about 3 weeks then bottle. Wait another 3 weeks then test one. If it is not carbed properly wait another week and try another. etc.

Congratulations on your 5 gallon batch.

I have an all-grain, malts-his-own, brewing friend, and Munton's is his house yeast. As with all yeasts, know what it is good at, and what its limitations are, and it will perform well for you.

Great, thanks for the responses!

I jumped up to 5 gal batches so that I could get more beer out of the same amount of time spent. Guess that also means that I could screw up more at once too!

The retailer noted that if they were out of a selected yeast that another would be substituted. If that is what happened, I would have thought that one of the same quality or better would have been provided. Oh well. I'll pay better attention in the future!

Thanks.

Back