Munich Malt recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a #55 bag of light Munich malt from the LHBS. Never having used this grain as a base, can I ask for some recipes for ales to be posted? I've looked on the recipe database, googled recipes, etc. but wasn't able to find much. I know kolsch is a good style of ale but have never brewed it so far.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432904807.993808.jpg

Thanks for the help, HBT members!

Kolsch doesn't have Munich malt in it. Usually just pilsner, maaaaybe a little wheat malt.

You could brew an IPA with 100% Munich or you could brewing a dunkel, bock, or altbier. Or brew an amber ale with half Munich and half 2-row for the base malts.

A lot of people, myself included, have made some great SMaSH recipes with all munich malt. A good choice of hops would be anything more Noble-ish or traditionally european. Target, Bramling Cross, Northern Brewer (which I did)

I do a red IPA that uses about 5 lbs of munich.

6 1/2 # 2 row
5 # munich
12 oz C40
8 oz C80
1 oz black patent (somehow gave it the red color)
simcoe, amarillo, cascade

My Redneck Pale Ale is 40% Munich 50% American Pale Malt. This is worlds "loosest" recipe in that the goal is to hit 1.050 OG, 1.013-1.015 FG, 9-10 SRM and 32 IBU using whatever grain and hops I have on hand. I still keep good notes in case I hit one that better than the rest but normally it is just my "house" ale and varies a bit each time.

there are lots of folks who like to make SMASH with Munich and Centennial but I cannot find the thread.

We did an IPA with 80% Munich and 20% Pilsner Malt. Both Malts are from Avangard too. For hops we used Northern Brewer, Perle and Herkules. It's currently fermenting and will be dry-hopped by tomorrow. We'll see how this works out.

Here is the hop bill, keep in mind it's in grams and not in oz.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-29 um 15.40.17.png

I recently did a fantastic SMASH/altbier with 100% Munich. It was something like enough grain to get 1.050, mash at 152, and an ounce of Striesselspalt at 60 and 10, and ferment cool with 1007. It was very tasty and insanely malty. I might try it again with 50/50 Munich and Pilsner which I hear is more traditional for an alt.

You can also make an excellent dunkelweizen with (almost) 50/50 Munich and dark wheat plus 2-3 oz of dehusked carafa III. A little Tettnang at 60 and ferment with a proper pitch of 3068. A pretty remarkable vanilla flavor gets coaxed out of the grain and is wonderful with the banana/clove flavors from the yeast.

Jamil's Munich Dunkel recipe from Brewing Classic Styles is good.

96% Munich Malt
4% carafa special 2

It will need to be fermented as a lager though not an ale.

"there are lots of folks who like to make SMASH with Munich and Centennial but I cannot find the thread."

That sounds really good, actually. Haven't done a sMasH in about a year.

"there are lots of folks who like to make SMASH with Munich and Centennial but I cannot find the thread."

That sounds really good, actually. Haven't done a sMasH in about a year.

I would like to try and all Munich all Saaz version at some point but it will have to realistically be a 5 gallon batch (which I rarely do) because 10 gallons would require about 4.2M oz of hops.

I would like to try and all Munich all Saaz version at some point but it will have to realistically be a 5 gallon batch (which I rarely do) because 10 gallons would require about 4.2M oz of hops.

Munich/Saaz smash is a winner, its on my list to rebrew

Thornbridge Jaipur and some of the St Austell's beers have Munich in them, but I don't think more than 20% (the rest being Maris Otter). You could try to make a Baltic porter with Munich base.

I've made some lovely dunkles with 100% Munich........... Using all noble type hops.... Northern Brewer and Hallertau or Tetenanger, etc and fermenting with 34/70 lager yeast

I also use Munich 20 extensively in other brews to get that toasty bready flavor and darken the brew, as opposed to using crystal, victory, etc..... It's a great tool. I have about 10 pounds left out of a 55 pound bag I bought this spring for a dollar a pound. When it's used up, I'll be getting a 55 pound bag of RedX which I will use similarly.

H.W.

When it's used up, I'll be getting a 55 pound bag of RedX which I will use similarly. H.W.

Report back on your experience with the RedX. Not much on the forum's here about it and I have read everything there is. My LHBS does not carry it and they cannot purchase it from their primary supplier so if I choose to pull the trigger on a sack I will likely have to pre-order from Chicago HBS for the next time I am in the area.

I am keen to try it but I need at least 5#'s per batch for my intended beer...and it is one I brew about every other month.

Report back on your experience with the RedX. Not much on the forum's here about it and I have read everything there is. My LHBS does not carry it and they cannot purchase it from their primary supplier so if I choose to pull the trigger on a sack I will likely have to pre-order from Chicago HBS for the next time I am in the area.

I am keen to try it but I need at least 5#'s per batch for my intended beer...and it is one I brew about every other month.

I've brewed with it before......"shakes out white turns red" ......... I bought 10 pounds of it a year or so ago from Farmhouse but I can now get it locally for a reasonable price. It has a rich malty flavor and has hints of biscuit. It looks like two row until you mash it. To get a deep red color out of it, you want to add some black patent or something of the sort. It's a nice malt, and I used it in two 2.5 gallon brews as a single malt and was not dissatisfied. The price I was recently quoted was about 25% more than I paid for Munich. I get my two row for about $23 a bag, but you can't use two row for everything ;-) .................

H.W.

You can also make an excellent dunkelweizen with (almost) 50/50 Munich and dark wheat plus 2-3 oz of dehusked carafa III. A little Tettnang at 60 and ferment with a proper pitch of 3068. A pretty remarkable vanilla flavor gets coaxed out of the grain and is wonderful with the banana/clove flavors from the yeast.

Sounds really good, i've never used dark wheat or carafa but i want to plan a dunkelweizen for the fall this looks like its on going on my todo list thanks! [emoji482]

Alright, here is a recipe I came up with using some of what I have on hand.

How's this sound for an Altbier recipe? Classic would use pilsner malt but we have Munich...

8# Munich malt
1# Vienna malt
.5# each of victory and biscuit malts

.5oz northern brewer @ 60
1oz of Spalt @ 45

1.045 OG and 1.011 FG
4.5% abv and 17 SRM

Sounds good to me. The only thing I'd add is this: It'll be wonderfully malty and awesome without the Victory and biscuit. Maybe leave those two out and just enjoy the Munichy-ness of it. That way you'll really get a great appreciation of Munich's flavor and will understand how to incorporate it into other recipes. Adding some really aromatic malts like Victory and biscuit might get in the way. Anyway, just my 2 cents. It'll be great either way.

Oh, and I'd move that Spalt to 10 or 5.

Sounds good to me. The only thing I'd add is this: It'll be wonderfully malty and awesome without the Victory and biscuit. Maybe leave those two out and just enjoy the Munichy-ness of it. That way you'll really get a great appreciation of Munich's flavor and will understand how to incorporate it into other recipes. Adding some really aromatic malts like Victory and biscuit might get in the way. Anyway, just my 2 cents. It'll be great either way.

Oh, and I'd move that Spalt to 10 or 5.

I was debating whether or not the victory/biscuit would be a bit much. I may save those for a brown ale later. And I did rework the hop schedule to be Northern Brewer 1 oz at 60 min then the Spalt 1 oz at 10 min.

Thanks for the input!

Just consider some carafa or sinomar for colour. Many alts have very simple grists with some colour correction on top.

Many of the European Amber styles and Bocks use a significant portion of Munich in the grain bill. Go for one of those if you want to make a lager. Also I have had success using Munich in Belgian Dark Strongs and Imperial Stouts at up to 50% of the base grain.

Here's what I did with some of my 55 lbs of Munich:View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433379507.392768.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433379529.466971.jpg

I used Notty around 66, then ramped to 67-68, eventually 70.
I really like it a lot. It's a little more fruity than I thought, and I think I'll use Notty at around 56 for the first 3-4 days. I hear it makes a great pseudo lager that way.
But I'm sure there is fruitiness also coming from that delicious malty Munich as well.

[EDIT: this was 10.5 gallon batch]

Latest posts

Back