Munich Helles - Spaten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I think I'm going to be disappointed, but I thought I'd check and ask.

I just brewed a Munich Helles, which I've never tasted before. While I'm waiting for it to ferment out I went to the store and bought a few Spaten Premium Lagers because I read that they are an example of a Helles.

Really? They taste like a Coors or any other BMC. Is this really what all the fuss is over or did I get the wrong beer. My SWMBO gave it a taste and said "This is what your making? It tastes like a Miller". Maybe we just don't have a distinguishing taste.

The Helles recipe I used in short was:

7.75 lbs Pilsner
1 lb Vienna
.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Carapils
mashed at 152F
1 oz German Select at 60min
S-23 yeast fermenting at 50F

I spent a week in Bavaria in October and had my share of Helles on draft from as many breweries as I could find. Awesome stuff. The best was probably Alpirsbacher Spezial. It was rich, slightly sweet, malty/bready with a crisp pilsner finish. Nothing like the bottled Spaten Lager you get stateside.

I am currently lagering a helles that I crafted when I returned, should be ready to bottle next week:

9# Pilsner
.75# Munich
.5# acidulated
.25# melanoiden

4 Hallertauer hop additions @ 60, 45, 30, 15 for 21 IBUs
Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

I did a step mash, but the tricky part was trying to simulate Munich water. Will let you know how it turns out.

Maybe we just don't have a distinguishing taste.

That is a possibility. Helles is a subtle and very delicate beer. If you are used to drinking more aggressive styles your taste buds may need time to re-adjust. Also unfortunately many imported bottled examples are not always at their best by the time you drink them. While a Helles is on the same branch of the beer family tree as everyday American light lagers a good Helles, while delicate, should have nice malt flavor of Geman pils malt that you won't find in the typical American brew. It's also not an easy beer to brew as it's delicacy will not mask even the smallest of deficiencies in procedure or ingredients. I don't know where you are in Maine but if you're anywhere near Portland I'm sure you can find a bar with a decent, fresh German Helles on tap. Try that with an open mind and clean palate and see what you think.

You should be able to find Weihenstephan original in Maine. This is a very good example of a Helles. It's even better at the brewery though... I've been tweaking a recipe for a while now and I think I've come pretty close. When you get it right, it's a real tasty style.

Spaten is ok here. I drank it at Oktoberfest and it was the worst beer out of the five. Augustiner being the best. It is the best example of a Helles anywhere. IMO. We can get Augustiner here in the states. Probably up in Maine too.

Thanks. I will keep an open mind. It is not like I only drink heavy beers, but this is the first lager I've made. I make a lot of light ales, but nothing as light as that Spaten.

I might dry hop it with some Hallertau to give it a bit more something. Worst case scenario, I'll learn it's not up my alley and give it away to my American lager friends.

Helles are great beers to guzzle not sip and enjoy in my opinion. Has enough flavor to keep you interested but won't blow you away.

Here's a question:

So it has been at 52F for 8 days now. I know that fermentation is still going on, but airlock activity has slowed to a crawl. Would it be too soon to raise the temp and give it the diacetyl rest? I usually don't touch my primaries for 3 weeks but folks talk about doing the DR before fermentation shuts down.

I'm a fan of Helles after visiting Munich and experiencing the real thing.

Your posted recipe looks pretty close to a typical Helles grain bill.

I tried the Northern Brewer Supply Helles AG kit, and it turned out tasting the way I remember the local beers in southern Germany tasting.

You can pull the exact recipe off their website, or buy their kit. I used the recommended liquid yeast option that came with the kit and was pretty happy with the results.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-BavarianHelles.pdf

Check your SG. If you want (need) to do a DR, the beer should be near the end of fermentation. Many resources will say at 80% of attenuation.

Latest posts

Back